Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some of this year's work..

sye
sye
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sye polycounter lvl 18
Hi,, this was not a group project.. the work was done on my own.. A few of you know i just finished my second year of uni,, before i started university i had never used any kind of animation software in my life.. So for my first biped i guess i am pleased with myself.. although i know i could have done better..

g.jpg

i.jpg

n.jpg

p.jpg

x.jpg

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Is the creature supposed to be a stone sculpture? The muscles don't look very convincing if not. The edges are too sharp and the areas between them too wide. Just doesn't look organic.

As for Michael Jackson, he's a bit paler than your version and I think the lipstick/coloring/whatever on his lips is more saturated.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, sye, it's all red X's until I copy and paste your links, then they all load fine.
    Things are a bit glossy/shiny. I agree with KDR, the first guy looks like a stone carving freshed splashed with water.
    The girl looks good, maybe another light to reduce the harsh shading on the face would be nice.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, yes, I had to disable referrer logging but then they showed up...
  • sye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sye polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Is the creature supposed to be a stone sculpture? The muscles don't look very convincing if not. The edges are too sharp and the areas between them too wide. Just doesn't look organic.

As for Michael Jackson, he's a bit paler than your version and I think the lipstick/coloring/whatever on his lips is more saturated.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know wot you mean about the muscles not looking real.. especially on the back,, but thats how i initially designed the back so i'm ok with it. I'm going to make a muscular human soon so then i cant really make an excuse if he doesnt look human.
    His skin does look like stone but I would appreciate some advice on how to change that.. :b

As for the girl i am happy with her overall,, apart from her hands..

i have no food so i'm going shopping,, gonna get some coco pops and some dinner for tonight.. When i get back i'll post wireframes and the girl with different lighting,, actually theres a scene where shes on the ground and the light is hitting her straight on,, it makes her look rosey,, i'll post a pic of that..

Thanks for the comments.. wink.gif
  • sye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sye polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey, sye, it's all red X's until I copy and paste your links, then they all load fine.
    Things are a bit glossy/shiny. I agree with KDR, the first guy looks like a stone carving freshed splashed with water.
    The girl looks good, maybe another light to reduce the harsh shading on the face would be nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

mad.gifi dont know why this happens.. i guess its because they are linked to a rubbish free web-space service.. next time i will find something else.. smile.gif
  • LazyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LazyBoy polycounter lvl 18
    nice work i noticed the background in the last pic it looks quite good I am liking some of the textures you used in the enviornment do you think you could show soe renders of your environment
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    The grey guy kind of reminds me of this model I did a while ago http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/character_tutorial/final_smooth.jpg

The girl has some interesting things going on in her face, but she ends up just looking a tad odd. I'd try to smooth out her features a bit more.

If you want to get rid of the stone look, take off the uniform bump, and turn down the specular. What material is it that you want it to be made out of?
  • sye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sye polycounter lvl 18
    i want the monster character to have slimy skin for example eeeeer.... eeeeeeerm.. i cant think of an example right now but just wet slimy skin.. and how would i make the bumb non uniform??

Thats your tutorial?? i was going to do it but then i decided i didnt really like the modelling method used.. i wanted to do it how i felt comfortable,, and then.... basically i ditched the whole tutorial and did my own thing.. hope its not too naughty.. blush.gif
  • sye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sye polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    nice work i noticed the background in the last pic it looks quite good I am liking some of the textures you used in the enviornment do you think you could show soe renders of your environment

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks.. here's a render.. the modelling is not that special.. i think im pleased with the texturing.. lighting is just a spotlight on every lamp post.. and a few very faint omnis to light the top of the posts..

scene5wn.jpg