Home Technical Talk

Unreal Tournament 2004 Q

Itachi_KX
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Itachi_KX polycounter lvl 18
in skining can I use custom attributes and influnce shapes?

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Um, what? What shapes, what attributes?
  • Kirin
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirin polycounter lvl 18
    Can you explain what you mean by custom attributes and influence shapes?

I know for skin textures, you can apply spec/gloss maps, masking, and other animating textures.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    No you cannot, as all of the deformations are controlled solely by Bone rotation alone. The engine at one time supported Moprh targets, but IT's complcated and involved scripting. For character, it's sleletal bone control, and that's it. However you can bake the simulations in using dynamics and constraints to drive bone rotation.

Scott
  • Itachi_KX
    Offline / Send Message
    -edit- ok thank you for the info.

Thank you two for replying since you are the first to awnser back to me in 2 weeks about this.(on other forms no one replied) Don't worry about it I am working on skining him now. Custom attributes are thinks like toe bend on the locator at the ankle, when it is a 0 the toe is straight and when it is at 10 the toe is pulled back. Influence objects can act like bones only it is a polygon primitive, and I use them for muscles. I think I have picked to use just jounts to do this since my model is already a bit over 3668 polys without triangulation.
    http://www.geocities.com/kx_tq/Itachi/itachi.html
    this is my character with a test texure on him since I am not a good texture artiest yet.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Naruto Character? Sure you can "Animate" with extra attributes, but in most cases, you have to "Bake Simulation" before Export. Objects that are not Maya bones, probably will not export.

Scott
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    By the way I'd worry about the character model before doing all that animation stuff, for example his head is completely misshaped. Should be round, is pretty cubic. The eyes look just weird.
  • Itachi_KX
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you KDR_11K for your input. I am working on his head now, but you said the eyes where off. Did you mean the texture or the accaul mesh. If it was the texture then fear not that was only a test texture that I did to see problems with the UV layout, though now I might have to learn how to do a better texture since my texture artiest has fallen off the face of the earth as far as I know. If it is the mesh let me know and I will work on it some.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno what's up with the eyes, I can see too little but they look half closed and the shading suggests a very unclean topology.
  • Itachi_KX
    Offline / Send Message
    yea your right the eyes are a little off due to the bad UV lay out that I did and my horrible texture job. if you look at it now the eyes are really messed up since I relaied the UVs out but I haven't added the new teesxture yet. I think I fixed everything ealse though