Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP, Another Space Marine

Dio
Dio
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Dio polycounter lvl 18
Thought I'd never do a space marine (without finacial benefit that is) but I found myself inclined to do just that. Didnt add anything to the genre concept-wise but Im enjoying him insofar. He's got 3440 tris and Ive still got to model an optional helmet.
thWIPSM.jpg
Im looking for crits so please do.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Good start, Dio. This character seems more medieval knight than space marine, though with the right texture, it could even be a styley hockey or American football player. Overall body proportions look nice, and I like the shoulder pads form the front. Also, all your details are stong, this character should show up great in a game environment.

The head shape is a bit off, and may be small. Adding the helmet could help this.
    The trim that runs across the chest armor, I don't like that you cut it off in the back, seems like it should be continuous around the body. The details for the thighs appear as though he's wearing shorts. I'm not too keen on the forearm armor either, too tight on the body. and looks like the Devo hat (google it). Feet/boots seem out of place and sloppy. I suggest remodeling this section smoother. It's eating a lot of polygons, yet looks very low poly.

Not sure what you're plans are for this model, but technically, the way you built this character, you could get away with a lot of segmenting. As in, breaking the model up at key positions to improve deformation. For example, the arms could be floating under the armor. This way, when his arms move, it won't distort the should pads. This model is choice for doing this at the shoulders, neck, waist, knees and feet. This isn't always the right idea, but I think this character could improve from it.