Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UTGAL Help

Weiser_Cain
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
I'm prety sure I'm doing a few things wrong. Help me out with the skirt, legs, and anything else you see being done wrong. Note that I will be 'fixing' the proportions as I go along.
UTGAL_WIP_1.jpg
concept
UTGAL.jpg

Replies

• jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    If you could just post what poly count you are aiming for because as of now it seems that you have way to many polys for the skirt. Also everything is to linear, you need to define the curve of the spine. It would be easier to create a less dense mesh first and add on the details later. Use the angular character structure to your advantage. This would allow for a lot of detail with a lot less polys. Most of the detail you are modeling at the moment can either be created in the texture or modeled later on after the character is blocked out.

I know I jumped around a bit but I hope that helps.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    No set goal really other than under 10k, maybe around 5 to 6 thousand, thought I'd spend around 1ish for the head, arms, legs, and torso each then throw the rest into the widgets on the arm and bits that I want to move smoothly.
    I've only really worked on the head and torso the rest are due some tweaking and I'm thinking of doing the legs over again as I now want the character to be able to lose the skirt and I never liked them anyway.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The arms should be in a relaxed, natural pose - right now they're straight as pokers, that's definitely not gonna help the look of the model, or ease of rigging/animating.

Her skirt/loincloth thing seems to have way too many vertical strips of polys, unless you're planning to make it ripple crazily.

Good start though - try and breathe more life into it though, the whole thing looks very rigid at the moment.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    part of what makes it feel rigid is all the straight edge loops, like in the legs, tweak these things to get the best shape
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    MOJO2k is extremely right about that. Despite the fact that the parts aren't connected, the straight formaty of it all REALLY makes it seem like seperate models. I did a paintover that will hopefully help you, although maybe confussing

http://www.n00bstories.com/image.fetch.php?id=1186359804

The arm is really one thing i am so confussed about. I cant tell where the forearm stats and where the hand begins o_O. You have a LOT of wasted pollies, you really need to optimize it bro. Lastly, when i did the PO for the LEG, i was thinking of a womans leg, not really thinking about the armor, but either way your calf looks awkward