Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spartan Robot - WIP

LiveWire
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
LiveWire polycounter lvl 18
This is a WIP for a modelling comp i'm entering. This is my first serious attempt at Maya after using Max for the past two-and-a-half years, which i think is the main reaason it's taken me some time to do the model and also for the quality, whih i am not entirly happy with. It does however have to be done by the deadline, so this is prettymuch what i am done with.

I think i'll shorten the arms and lengthen the legs a bit though.

anyway, just looking for feedback

spar18xr.th.jpg
spar23ws.th.jpg

Replies

• DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    looks great, and pretty creative, only two crits though

1)-YES!!!...Arms are WAY too long. If you think your feet are proportional, your Foot should be as long as your forearm from your Wrist to the CREASE of your elbow, and your upper arm should be about that length as well. Arms are def too long, fingertips should go to about mid thigh at the most. Yours go to knees o_O

2)It's a Spartan robot, kinda a cool idea, and definately looks the part. However it almost looks human. If your going to make it a robot, be more creative! Do stuff to it to make it more mechanical yet still look the same. Add wires and stuff, maybe get some harder edges on there, something.
  • LiveWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments. Shortly after posting this and taking a short break i looked at it again and realised, yes, the arms are far too long. i modelled them horizontal and rotated them down at the very end, normall i would rotate them down straight away or model them at 45deg. in the first place, so i didnt notice the length this time as i usually would.

i intend to shorten the arms and lengthen the legs a bit.

as for the robotness of it, i think it will be clearer once the texture is painted. he has quite a few mechanical parts. though he is covered in armour, there is trippy glowy lights and stuff on, below and between it.
  • LiveWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adjusted proportions, unwrapped, and packed

sparchecker9ls.th.jpg
    sparwrap5si.th.jpg
  • LiveWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm really having trouble deciding on a colour scheme here.
    problem with the dark ones is they will hide detail, but the glowy bits look better on them. the gold one is very greek/spartan soldier like, but not as evil looking at the glowy bits dont show up as well.

other peoples oppinons would be greatly appreciated, i'm stumped.

colours8yd.jpg
  • PeteJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteJ polycounter lvl 18
    do all of them.
    darken the gold make it look tarnished. might help the glowing bits look more menacing.
    i think all of the schemes look nice, though the gold is most greek looking.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    Combine them. Do the greay as the main color, the red as the shadow color, and give him gold highlights, kind of like inlay.

Frank the Avenger