Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Pimp - Gladiator

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
Hey folks, long-time lurker, first-time pimper.

This guy started off as an anatomy study, turned high-poly gladiator, turned low-poly gladiator. He's still very much a WIP, at least for the next couple of days. Armor and weapon have not been started yet. Dirt, grime, and blood are all forthcoming!

Textures: 2x 1024 (armor/body), 1x 512 (face/weapon)
Triangles: 4782

glad4.jpg
PCGlad.jpg
PCGlad2.jpg

Any comments, crits, advice is appreciated. crazy.gif

Replies

• Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    This looks pretty nice Gonzo! Some thoughts:

For the pretty large mass across the chest that you have there, his arms feel too thin. They definitely need bulking up.

The face is pretty weak. I feel like I could take him on in the ring right now, but it would work better If he had a much more intimidating look I think.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I'm with Daz on his crits, especially for the arm thickness. Also his hat reminds me of something out of Pikmin or something cartoony of that nature. It might be based on a real world design, but it seems to whimsical in nature to be a gladiator helmet.
    Also his pants and shoe set up seem like they are from a different era, for whatever reason.

Good job on the weathered sunburnt skin pallete, it reads well as a warriors skin. Just try to get more contrast into that.
  • RyRyB
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the responses fellas.

Changes:
    -Thinned out the lips
    -Toned down the chipmunk cheeks
    -Changed angle on the eyebrows
    -Changed chin in profile view
    -Added shadow area on cheeks
    -Added drop shadow from helmet (separate layer)
    -Thickened up the arms
    -Changed up the helmet
    newface.jpg
    newhat.jpg
    newshadow.jpg

Daz - Yeah, I kept thinking the arms looked ok but a couple of people have mentioned it so I thickened them up a tad. Thanks for the thoughts about the face, I shouldn't have used Steve Mittleman (http://www.occomedy.com/bio/mittleman/mittleman2.jpg), who rocks by the way, as a reference. smile.gif j/k

Poop - Thanks a bunch for the comments. I'm torn between going realistic/true-to-life or sticking with the feel of speed and power within the character. I put on some different pants/skirt setups and he lost the athletic look and weight. I'm gonna play around with different setups for the next day or so and see if I can't crap out something that works. Perhaps you have some ideas in mind? My original idea which I used on one of the high-poly versions was this:

yar2.jpg

I like it but I don't know if the time I have would allow me to go through and model/paint/rig up a skirt to fit on the outside (I've never rigged something that complicated before blush.gif). I may just paint it onto the pants and see how that turns out.

Thanks again for the feedback. smile.gif