Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

normalmapped devilhead

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
_Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
Hi guys,

after I finished my university portfolio i relaxed abit with zbrush and made this lil thug. The modelling is entirely done in zbrush with one sphere, then sculpted. After finishing i exported the highpolymodel, then used the optimze function in zbrush and exported a lowpoly model. After adjustments i baked a normalmap out, made the bumpmap first with seperate layers so that i could use the layer with the darker parts in the diffusemap with a red tint. Total worktime was around 6 hours or such.
I used a normalmap with a bumpmap baked in plus a diffuse map. The glossines is controled by a falloff shader so that the more light hits the surface the more glossines appears.
Total polycount is 803 tris.

devilhead_normalmapped.jpg

Crits and comments are welcome.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yay for bumpy demons!

I like the feeling of muscle mass you achieved here Shimmy, really solid. Designwise the mouth seems to extend very far to the side (you usually want it so that the corners of the mouth and the eye sockets are aligned on the same vertical line, but it's just a matter of taste anyways), but besides that it's all good.

You might have gone overkill with the bumpmap tho (or maybe these details were done directly on the model/normalmap? can't tell if you baked them in or did them right on). At the moment there is detail everywhere, but in fact some parts are to be in tension hence skin should be tense at these points (mouth, chin, and the piece of bone that is just outside the eyesocket running to the ears ; will try to find the correct name).

Same for the color (overlays? COUGHT YOU AGAIN AT IT!) map... at the moment its a bit like colors everywhere.

I'd like to see an untextured render too!!! Please please dear Shimmy smile.gif

And btw, what do you use to generate the maps, and render them at the end ? Everybody has his own approach to it hence it's always neat to share. Or maybe ZBee can do it all, even falloffs?

Nice head anyways, we should all be doing that kind of stuff now... Thanks for the motivation smile.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    very nice, although yeah you could do it all in Zbrush, didn't really need to bake in a bump, just gotta get that kind of control, and u could get some really nice normal maps smile.gif overall looks really cool, maybe make it a little sharper.
  • Jamaludin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jamaludin polycounter lvl 18
    Jeez thats looking great man, would love to see a sharper version like a previous one mentioned but very fabby. Great work !
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    that skin texture is awesomely gruesome
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me of wishmaster, good stuff.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looks really nice Shimmer. I agree with pior about the uniform nose in the bump and color though.

I'm tired, so let me end it with a GOOD JOB buddy!
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crylar polycounter lvl 18
    Normalmaping really is beautyful. Nice head model, really nice.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    be my guest pior smile.gif
    devilhead_render.jpg

Hmm, i think i should adjust my monitor. I really dont see that much overlay (its a 15 % rust texture, the rest are those wrinkles out of the bumpmap as mentioned) everywhere...
    here is the source bumpmap, as you can see, it was a quick dirty job smile.gif
    devilhead_bumpmap.jpg