Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jason and the Argonauts

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kunglao polycounter lvl 18
finally got round to texturing him,
overall pretty pleased could have saved 200-300 polys with a bit more careful optimising.
slight opacity map on hair,Messed up uvw mapping on sword strap (hence no real design on it)
gonna rig him now(never tried this before,just follow the tut on max 7 right?)
as always c+c welcome

jasonlopoly7yn.jpg

Replies

• chip
    Offline / Send Message
    chip polycounter lvl 18
    ah, a Harryhausen fan, methinks. great flick for its day.

not really a Todd Armstrong lookalike due to the overly broad (imo) body proportions, but a resemblance nonetheless. the snarling mouth seems a bit out of place... is it articulated? neck muscles seem rather stringy. eyes could use a bit of downsizing if you're going for a naturalistic look.

pretty good costume textures but they seem awfully clean -- doesn't look like this guy's been fighting off hydrae and hordes of skeletal troops. the folds of the tunic(?) seem a bit too regular.

don't get me wrong, this is well done overall, just maybe needs some detail tweaking.

is Keanu really gonna do Sinbad?
  • pairorat
    Offline / Send Message
    pairorat polycounter lvl 18
    the bump on the chest looks great, but I'm with chip the armors a bit clean, also might look into resaturating the shadows on the skin tones, it jumps most on the back of his legs.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    kunglao_liquify.gif

Good effort!
    The head was especially distressing. I can tell you went for a fairly stylized look, but I did a quick liquify in PS anyway to show how I feel it should look.

The proportions are a bit off, and as a few others have said, the flesh saturation isnt quite consistant.

I'd like to see your texture flats...

The spec map needs work. The bumps & recesses on the armor wouldn't have the same specular value, so it looks odd currently.
  • kunglao
    Offline / Send Message
    chip-yep, the movie was a classic,i wanted to make him a bit bigger and angry with a slight soul calibur/comic look to it(hence bigger than norm eyes).Yes the mouth is articulated but i have no intention of animating as i suck at that.
    Totally agree he is to clean,I pray that Keanu dont get that role(i'd give it to colin farrell)
    pairorat -your right on the shadows,this was my 1st attempt at baking in max
    ScoobyDoofus -thanks for your input,can you explain what you mean by the proportions being off-again i did not want to create a real human more cartoon like.
    This was my 1st time at spec/bump and admit that this is an area i could do with more help on, any links or advice would be greatly appreciated..I want to learn!

as always keep your c+c coming
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    kunglao, I think you're confused about what style you wanted, and what style you made. This character is realistic, human style. If you really want a cartoon style character you'll have to start over, cause there is nothing cartoony about your character. Don't worry about that though, finish this realistic warrior because it's so close to being perfect.
    Fix the head like Scooby shows, it's your biggest visual problem. Scale the texture down to 512x512. A model with that low a polycount needs a texture of equal proportion.
    Also, for more elaborate crits, always post flats and wires.
  • kunglao
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback,keep it coming.
    Cholden-when i said cartoon i meant kinda like the soul caliber look, as for the wires and flats the wires were posted earlier and i will post flats soon.Again thanks for all your c+c,this is not a throwaway remark, i do make notes on all feedback and try to use it on my next character.
    Yep i agree eyes are big i wanted to create a cartoon look rather than realism .It was all hand painted using ps and painter
    I will drop it down to 512x512
    this was my first time using baking,and adding spec and bump maps overall i am fairly happy with the result but it could be a lot better,Still practice makes perfect.
    I am looking to get a job in the games industry either entry level or junior based on what you see what do you think.
    I know that my work needs a lot of improvement and i am not afraid of putting in the hours and i know that i am not gonna walk into a postion and be responsible for creating the characters, more like modelling/texturing crates and other such small things, i am cool with that.It will also give me the chance to be in the company of pros and i intend to learn from them at every opportunity in or out of work especially learning new techniques like normal mapping etc.My problem has been that none of my friends do or want to do this line of work so the only help feedback/help i get is visiting sites like this.

I think over the next day or two i will take in all the feedback and make some changes to the texture map,its to late to alter the model but valuable points will be noted and put into practice on my next piece
    as always c+c welcome
  • El_PIG
    Offline / Send Message
    El_PIG polycounter lvl 18
    I did the style Kunglao, It reminds me more of Maximo than Soul Calibur but still looks fine in my opinion. The white tunic/shirt deal seems a bit too pristine for my liking, Maybe just give it a little more contrast so it doesn't look radiantly Tide ultra-clean. Making those folds stand out a bit more would be nice.

Did you intend for the shield to be an octagon? From what I can tell it was a simple round shield

http://nitrocomics.com/jasonsword.jpg

The octagon look seems a bit too low-poly and cheesed out when the rest of the model holds up pretty well (like the armor, etc). I'd give the shield a little more love and make it more round just so it looks like it belongs with that model.

Great stuff! Keep it up!
  • sye
    Offline / Send Message
    sye polycounter lvl 18
    i like it,, excellent materials.. i'm not a big fan of george michael though.. tongue.gif
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    to be honost his leather on his suit look like filter>texturizer>

id work at giving the armor a more worn and non filter look

aside from that its gravy