Home General Discussion

That Messiah tech?

KDR_11k
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
Anyone remember that ancient game "Messiah"? A bug ridden mess of a game? Well anyway, I remember they claimed to have 2 mio. poly models that dynamically downscale to the desired resolution. What exactly was that? I can't imagine that it was just an LOD algorythm, considering the hardware back then they'd end up with so few polies the shading would be completely out of whack and the screenshots didn't look like that.

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I remember quite enjoying that game, never thought it was a 'bug ridden mess' at least. All I remember is that adaptive LOD thing made the models jiggle about while it was working as their polycounts changed infront of your eyes. Didn't look all that attractive.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    I was just playing messiah a few days ago, and from the way it looks, it apears to be some sort of primitive normal mapping system, but given the hardware/system specs of that time it doesnt seem possible...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Yea I remember that jiggle. But it was very bug ridden. I couldnt even hear half the inbetweens since they hard coded the sound for specific systems.