Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

QDG Weapon (HL2)

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
Hi everyone!
This is the first time I've ever worked up the nerve to post something I've made here for some crits blush.gif.

Well first I'll let you guys know what I was going for with the design of this thing. I was told that it was supposed to be a combine tech weapon, supposed to be large ,have the heavy metal and organic/alive looking features. In the animations those spikes rotate outwards. While it's idle the spikes are alive and twitching like a spider, and in the firing loop they all move in a pulsing wave formation. Also later on I'm going to replace the HEV arm with a Combine arm (this is for a mod).

Anyway I'm still very new to CG, I'm just posting here looking for crits so I can improve (hopefully with texturing since that's one of my weakest areas. But anything else too of course).

2247 Tris including the arm.

Edges
t_edges.jpg
Render
t_render.jpg
In game
t_ingame.jpg Ingame 2 (1024x768)
Sheet 1
t_qdgsheet1.jpg
Sheet 2
t_qdgsheet2.jpg

Also I didn't include the sheets that used shader effects like the crystals.

Replies

• adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey, this model's cool. But I actually have a couple technical questions for you. What app did you create this in? And how'd you find putting your own model into HL2? I'm thinking about doing some level props and use HL2 to showcase them.

If you could point me to some websites that'd be awesome.
    I use 3DSMax.
  • steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    cool dude smile.gif I think the metal parts of the skin could use some more loving, maybe some nails or screws, also it looks very blue in game. The computer screens look very cheap right now, I think you should actually make it a detailed screen with like words and targeting system or something, its all up to you though.
    I too am also curious to know how to get a model in game, thanks!
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Brome: SMD exporter. There's one for Max I believe.
  • SideEffect
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    Cannonfodder released some nice smd exporting tools for 3D Studio Max.
    http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/cftools.htm

And as for learning how to get the models in, I spent a lot of time going through trial and error to get stuff working. HL2world has a wikipedia setup and I've posted a few things on getting props and ragdolls in the game. Neogenisis also has some great tutorials for getting characters working in Source.

http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Brome: If you ever need help with those technical HL2 things let me know, just pm me.

Steady: Yea I think I need to tone down the specular, in the HL2 shader things I gave the specular a blue tint to make it look like blue gun-metal. Also those screws and things sound like a good idea, thanks!

Edit: Oh yea Steady forgot to mention that the big screen at the bottom will use VGUI2 so there will be text and some indicators in there through the code.