Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Business district enviroment

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
This is a project which was assinged to me at work, the project is a 3d hogans alley for police training purposes, i want to make it look nice but frankly i cant get too wild on details due to time and the fact its for police training.

but that doesnt mean i cant but a little quality in it,so far all of the building ive based off actual designs, all of them are modeled in a modular fashion, each building consists of 3-5 pieces textured on a 512x512 texture which is as high as i can go, then i instanced all the pieces i needed to make each building im working on a grid size which equals 1 grid spot=1 foot each of the pieces to the building are 10 units by 10 units which is about the size of a story in a building.

i still have much more details to do,like street signs,extra details for the building like drainage,traffic lights and also have 2 building to make a warehouse and another building.

street3ao.th.jpg

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    It's a good start, except the stop sign is on the wrong side of the road (you'd stop after the intersection for that sign). The windows on the white building could use some work.
    The brick buildings look good though. The sidewalks could use some dirtying up also, but that may be part of the 'details' you were refering to. Like you said also, the street needs some manholes and drainage.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    ill move the sign,ill make a note of windows of whire building,ill see what i can do on sidewalk,its atileable texture,too much dirt and that tile will stick out too much

as for the street im still figuring out how im gonna texture it.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    building59df.th.jpg

this is the building which will go to the right where that purple box is at,its about 1800 polys so far.

just gotta make textures for columns arch and model flag pole and flag
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    do you have reference you're working from? just seems a little odd to have the columns right infront of windows like that
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    yes reference,its based off a design of a free mason lodge,colors and length are only differences
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cool cool, just wondering. I still think its kind of odd, must suck if you have an office or whatever with one of those obscured windows
    guess I should tell it to the architect smile.gif
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    This stuff starts looking amaizing. In next update try add some shadows, there will be alot better. I keep thumbs for You becouse I know that creating an environment is a piece of hard work. Good luck.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    JO, are you using a reference? With the stop sign and more recent building snafus, it seems more like you're building randomly what you think is right.

The proportions on that first street show look weird. The street/sidewalk seem very thin. There isn't much space on the sidewalk for people to have a safe distance from vehicles on the street. Normally, there are lines of trees, parking meters, etc to divide pedestrians from the road. It appears only one vehicle could fit on this street (imagine one garbage truck, has to fit everywhere in the city). Even if it's a one way street, what about parking? Sidewalks are also high and smooth.

The 2nd building, as rooster said, building in front of windows is wrong. The textures tiling is very noticeable, and I'm not see 1800 polygons. Post a wire if you're looking for some more technical crits, but I'm only seeing around 250 polygons.

Textures overall could use sharpening, the white one in the background of the first shot looks alright, but it's the only one that seems to be detailed for it's camera distance. Textures need a level of detail, such as, long, mid and close range detail, depending on how close the user can get to the object. For example, the stop sign is a red octagon, get closer you can read “stop” get closer and you can see the dirt.