Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sculpy -- Dwarf

Clint
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Clint polycounter lvl 18
Hi i never post much here. I love looking at everyones work here but im not very heavy in art and just piddle around sometimes. Ive been addicted to world of warcraft lately and got in the mood to experiment with some Sculpy and make a dwarf warrior guy. Hah dont be suprised if this turns out bad i havent played with clay in like 6 years. wink.gif

Day 1 (a rough shapeing)
build1-1.jpg
build1-2.jpg
build1-3.jpg
build1-4.jpg

Replies

• Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Looking at your armature, you know what you're doing. The blocking out is looking promising as well, and I like the pose. Keep working at it, never mind your algebra studies ;P
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Day two: he grows a head!!
    also shaped up his anatomy a bit and hooked him up with an axe
    build2-1.jpg
    build2-2.jpg
    build2-3.jpg
    build2-4.jpg
    build2-5.jpg
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    nice detail, excellent work. keep it up man smile.gif
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    That looks awesome, and fun. =)

Gotta try to do something myself someday. Got any usefull links?
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    links for.... buying sculpey? or for modeling with it?
    You can pretty much buy the stuff and any decent craft store (got mine at hobby lobby). If u can't im sure u can order it its pretty cheap (~$8.00 for a pound or so). As far as working with the stuff, it molds really well with just your hands and holds form well. To harden it you just stick it in the oven for a few minutes. (I already baked the axe. You can tell it's shade is a little darker).
    More updates to come tomorrow smile.gif
  • King-Vitaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    King-Vitaman polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome dwarf, I need to finish my rhinocerous head I am making and get it painted and pimped. I was going to crit the anatomy but looks like you got it figured out, I thought the legs were too short as well but it looks much better now with the head, still too short but in a good stylised dwarvish way. Keep us updated.

palm - smellybug over at conceptart.org has an awesome tutorial for making maquettes out of sculpy. Goes through pretty much the entire process and outlines ever aspect such as what tools to use and techniques for the whole process. It is probably the best tutorial I have ever seen.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18287&page=2&pp=60

Some tools that he didnt talk about that I have found to be extremely useful when working with sculpy are dental picks which I customised with my dremel to make them sharper or flatter or whatever, and a paint-eraser. It is 2 pieces of rubber, 1 on each end of a handle, and they are both tapered down to a smallish point, one side is chisel shaped and one is round. It can be used similarly to a finger, it smooths and does soft, non-destructive pushing/sculpting but is alot smaller than a finger so you can get it into a tiny area for better detail.
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks a lot for the link and info.=)Bookmarked it.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Nice sculpt, this clay does wonders eh?

I wouldn't recommend buying the white stuff tho(regular sculpty). Stuff is abit harder, and not as soft as the Super Sculpty.
  • OgrO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OgrO polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, impressive work!
    Now, that's modelling smile.gif
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Todays work: I smoothed and shaped him out a bit more, but todays task was taking attention to the lower body. I fleshed out his legs and added some armor, a skirt, and boots. Enjoy. Might do some more work on him tonight. Stay tuned. grin.gif
    day3-1.jpg
    day3-2.jpg
    day3-3.jpg
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    thats awesome. could maybe use some chain mail texture to it, but that probably goes in at the end of the process? i got nuthin.

some hair texture stuff would be sweet too
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Uuhh!! That's good! Are you going to paint him?
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't get to work on him today frown.gif but i should have quite a bit of time tomorrow. I was thinking about doing chain mail but i dont have and pattern stamps or good tools for doing it so i think im just going to use a leather look. Yes i will paint him. Airbrushing would be nice but i have no experience with it so i will probably use acrylics with a brush. I have some nice gold and silver enamels for the armor too. wink.gif
  • Erol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
    Clint, do you use any medium to help in smoothing him? I've heard rubbing alcohol works, but haven't had too much luck with it being any easier than good ol' spit. Butcher's block oil was another, but haven't tried it.
  • Satan Fish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Satan Fish polycounter lvl 18
    very cool, thw work is very detailed and passes up alot of things seen in stores. the only problem i see is that he seems to have a little problem with smotthness in some small areas, but nothing anyone would care about. If you did more of these for variouse cartoons, games, and such. you could get the big money. if you htink a little out of the box. infact that has alot to do with modeling a character in 3d, not a must have but if you had a 3d model it would be much easier to make a 3d version, you oculd tell what details go where and how to make them fit in. Alot of pro companys used to do that for video games, not sure if its still done today though. either way..i bet you could nail a bit of money on ebay or somethign with that. especially since its home made. Props.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Clint - if you have a biro (bic) pen you can use the point and the inner 'tube' to get a chainmail look. This is looking very nice, how are your painting skills?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Hefty update!
    Im done with the modeling for the most part. A few tweaks and smoothing here and there and into the oven grin.gif. Thx for all the input. I decided to keep it leather because i tried the pen thing and that didnt work to well :/ Oh and for reference i just made a quick sketch for basic pose and anatomy but it got lost in the garbage many moons ago shocked.gif So thats all for today. Tomorrow I paint smile.gif
    day5-1.jpg
    day5-2.jpg
    day5-3.jpg
    day5-4.jpg
    day5-5.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i would LOVE to go at that with some of my paints! (im a die hard warhammer collecter, been painting for 11 years...)

its looking so damned impressive. i love all the attention to detail!
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Cool man! Totally reminds me of the dwarf from the cinematic. Makes me want to do something with the 2 lbs. I have layin around at home. :P
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    seriously good stuff clint. Im in ave how you manage to get those edges and detail on the accessories and armour.
    totally inspiring stuff aswell since we are starting a sculpture class with super sculpy this wednesday!
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Lookin' reeeealy good. My only crit would be to round out those fingers, they still have a slight 'sliced mitten' look about them. This is going to look awesome with paint.