Home General Discussion

Portfolio video format

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
I've been wondering lately what others would consider to be the best format for distributing animation content hosted through an online portfolio - my work isn't really gaming specific, but a digital portfolio is pretty much a digital portfolio regardless of content. Specifically, I'm stuck in deciding relative to Quicktime or Windows. I really prefer Quicktime in general, but I'm not a primary Mac user and I expect neither are the vast majority of people who would view my portfolio. .avi's ought to be playable almost everywhere, but I've never cared as much for the quality or application control available with the Windows options. Alternatively, I could host all of my video stuff in both formats, but then I'm devoting a lot of my webspace to redundant material - I also use my host for archival purposes and while space isn't a problem yet, I'd rather not tie it up with variant formats of the same media.

So... what options would you guys want or expect from an online site, particularly those of you who are in position to review portfolios and are involved in the hiring process? I really can't imagine working for any company that isn't savvy enough to have Quicktime installed on all their machines, so am I okay by just going with videos in .mov format?

Replies