Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

stripped down portfolio update

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
pior grand marshal polycounter
Hello all

For speed and clarity sake I decided to optimize my portfolio to a mere 3 pages website (including resume and home, which means one unique gallery page) Color scheme is hitting revision 3 too smile.gif

I've wanted to do so for some time, especially for potential job hunt. My belief is, faster browsing is better...

I've decided to only show the very lastly added pictures on the gallery, around a dozen for each category. The visitor has to hit 'archives' to see the old.

Question is, do you think it's a safe move? The page might seem a bit empty now. I've also made teh flipbook more evident on the splash page (thanks Poopi for the handwritten text idea!), but now that I think of it I might lack the 'recoil' needed to judge anything about all this anymore...

Thanks for your potential suggestions!

Replies

• shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Yes, good move and well done.
    I think you presented yourself very serious.
    May be a little too serious for some employers, mind that.

There is one thing I wanted to say to you tho, not about the presentation, if that's cool with you. It's about the content.

I feel the content becomes a little redundant. If I get too much Pior it's just too much.. kinda like sugar, you know? wink.gif

You have a very strong, personal stylistic approach to whatever you do and I feel it narrows down a little bit the "colors in your rainbow", if that makes sense..
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Pior, if there was some way I could suck the artistic ability out of your head and use to for my own machinations I would. BUT I'd have to also agree with shotgun, your work is very very PIOR, and while that is great, you could certainly grow in terms of subject matter and changing up the style a bit.

PS: the simplified site is a definite improvement!
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Awsome work man... completely inspirational! you could work anywhere you wanted with a portfolio like that.. im sure.

Jody
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone!

Shot and Rage, you definitely hit the point here.

I've been feeling this urge for something else for some month now but couldn't really put my finger on it. I recently registered to CA.org for this very reason : I was a bit feeling like running in circles with my late productions and need some fresh air!

I think I'll focus more on studies from now on. I just tried to do so recently and it proved out to be a great, mentally challenging exercise I need to perform more often!

I also need to update the flipbook to reflect that...

Glad you enjoy the stripped down design, I was not sure about the balance between presentation lightness and content showing. About the seriousness of it... Well, putting a handdrawn message in this was already quite a move for my rigid self smile.gif It might evolve into more things like that tho, like, pictures highlighted with sketchy arrows. Will see!

Let's add some more rainbow colors now!
  • CyberArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberArtist polycounter lvl 18
    One suggestion I'd make is have the images in the flip book clickable and linked to the next page so you don't have to click on the little "next" in the corner. Minor, sure, but nice for the lazy people. =)
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the bright and clean layout.
    The only critt I have is that I dont se the point of the clipbook. It was the first thing I clicked on when I entered the page. If you really want it you should put some of your best work there (like the bunny) since it probably will be the first thing ppl se.

Otherwise I loved the page. You have tons of talent.
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    Cool page i love the design, but like palm said i missed the bunny and some of the highpoly stuff in the clipboard.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    good stuff pior, i think the only thing i can say right off is that you should ditch the dragon as the first image. not that you shouldn't keep the cute little guy in the flipbook, but i just don't think it's the most representative piece to start off on. it's a "you" piece, it's just older. us at polycount can contextualize it and know what it is, and appreciate seeing it, but to an outsider i dont think it works as well. put your bunny model on the front or something that's a bit more up to date. other than that, good stuff and a good idea smile.gif
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Very stylish and simple. I like!

The flipbook is cool. I would add on every page the number and how many flipbook pages there are like 1 of 10, 2 of 10, etc. just so folks know how big the flipbook is. Maybe a pain to change that to every page if you add a new one.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great suggestions guys, I'm glad I asked smile.gif

The flipbook certainly needs a large update... I have new and improved pieces to show for each page basically. Sketches, life studies, normalmap stuff. I just wanted to 100% finish an highpoly model+texture before updating, but it's also true that I could update this right on...

Thanks for pointing this Gauss, I definitely need to take more recoil about what is worth showing and what is not!

Clickable pages/image is a good idea too! Ik, it's nothing to do, just a matter of saving a PSD template in a safe place smile.gif

Thanks for the input people, I'll try to put this in practice asap!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    hey pior, sorry i missed ya the other night, was tryin to figure out some problems i was having.

anyway, i agree with people here: i like the site, nice, clean, purdy, and flipbook needs updated.

smile.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    pior i think your portfolio site is one of the best i´v seen

the flipbook thing is a good idear but would not be so neccessary if your thumbnails would be bigger, and not so mutch..
    also i would not make 2 rows of icons like at sketches
    decide which are the best and take half of them out

about the flipbook.. i suggest to put 1 pic of the normalmapped fishyboy in it! and the first site=dragon problem already mentioned

hm and the flipbook-klick-me-first thing has definitely not as mutch live as the girl sitting on the box !!!
    maybe not only a handwritten text but a model/sketch pointing and saying

hm.. btw.. do u code php?

but cools stuff anyways smile.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noprob Moose smile.gif

Rollin, yeah I so need to try and do a new and convincing eyecatching opening pic...

PHP is not really my cup of tea but I had to learn the basics of it anyways along with simple mysql database handling. The reason behind that is that the folio is updated without the need of editing the html source : I upload the new pic, add the corresponding db entry with a custom update form and then the pic show up in the appropriate gallery. Handy, but not that good for a folio since one is supposed to show only the best works...
    Still need to remove alot from it.

Laters!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Pior, sorry I didn't hit this sooner, but this site update is fantastic. This is a great example of a portfolio/resume web site. Love the content as well.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Pior - I do the same with PHP, but my form has an image uploader too - do you do the same? It makes it much easier.

What you could do is have an extra field in your database set as a boolean for GOOD. Then use the PHP at output to only show images tagged as GOOD. Or something.