Home General Discussion

Creativity is gone

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
I can still model, UVmap. and even texture a bit. I can make people,furniture, weapons, and vehicles but I can't make anything that makes me go WOW. I still have skills but no drive. My desire is there, but when I open a 3d program to start something, I just basicly say "screw this"and close it. I really don't need a response I just wanted to vent a bit.

Replies

• mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    i always have the same problem as well, jealousy rages when i look at the amount of creativity in places like the skecthread or speed painting thread, i wish i had a sick and twisted mind like that in my head so i can create wonderful pieces like those displayed there
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    So, maybe you need to figure out what it is that really makes you go 'wow', and work on making that. If you can't now, then maybe you should work toward being able to.

I've never been able to make anything I really like without using something else as inspiration. I can't just throw it down, I have to base it on something else. I'm reactive, the subject has to exist outside me, and I respond to it, all my effort is like a response, like a project that has been assigned to me, and I want to show a good effort in making a creative solution.

That's where the Challenge stuff comes in. Some of my best work, my favorite stuff, has come from challenge projects. If not Polycount, then CGChat or CGTalk. I take a topic from those and say, 'how can I make something that will make me say wow, within these guidelines?'

The good stuff just kinda happens.

/jzero
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    draw.

I've learned that if I try to create something without a complete idea layed out in front of me, I'm lost and give up. Design what you want in pencil/pen/paint. If the concept is great, the 3D will be just as great. Creativity means to create, not duplicate. So try something a little different. Example: avoid AK-47's. exaggerate elements. re-arrange basic concepts. break the mold.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    i had that same problem, all it took was one awe inspiring trip to new orleans,booze,drugs,girls and music can sure kick start it.

now im making trashcans!!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Just do something out of the ordinary. Take a trip to somewhere (preferrably involving a lot of walking, i.e. no concentration needed). Watch stuff you usually don't watch. Try giving yourself impressions of things you aren't used to. Physical activity, little necessary thinking and new impressions will make your brain work faster.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    make Cthulhu.....or something large, of your own creation....rawr.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind suggestions guys smile.gif I've been thinking about this all day and I've noticed that this is actually permeating my whole life. I have no drive for anything anymore. I think it could be related to some filial sress that I've been having. It could also be related to my move and marriage related stress too.
    I'm hoping that when my life calms down I can get my drive and creativity back.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    just model what you like. i have like 0 creativity left also, if i even had any to begin with, so i just make things that make happy.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    man, join the fucking club. I dont even have the interest to play games right now. Let alone do anything creative.

I too am in a rather stressful transition in life, getting ready to move and rethink the way my wife and I live. We are both just waiting to do everything after we move and are settled in again.

I hope things improve in June! I feel your pain.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    man, join the fucking club. I dont even have the interest to play games right now. Let alone do anything creative.

I too am in a rather stressful transition in life, getting ready to move and rethink the way my wife and I live. We are both just waiting to do everything after we move and are settled in again.

I hope things improve in June! I feel your pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting married, moving to a new city, and getting a new job. Al in the space of a month. I don't think things will be normal till at least October. Hope to see you when i get there smile.gif
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Yes all the stuff Slayer said, I hardly slip into gaming at all and projects seem to be my mantra, ok though, I have slacked for yrs on home projects, creativity, sheesh I am the king, I finally pulled my head and gonna get a skin done, first one in like 3 yrs? You might try checking out stuff that inspires you, for me this is industril textures, look under the hood of my car, trains and farm equipment, I am a very boring guy.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Draw hot chicks. No Im serious. It will keep your attention and improve your skills. But draw from references like pinups and classy stuff. That's what I do when I feel a creative block. Also Fat people, I love to draw fat people. Just get really loose with the lines lots of flab. If you draw hot chicks and fat people something will come of it.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Watching movies or surfing cgtalk usually what used to get me goin.

Yeah the wife and I are moving up to renton to be closer to work. So now we have a nice huge burden of selling the house we are in. Yay fun as always.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Jerry CGtalk always overwhelms me and stresses me out, it is like too big, like a pretty amazon woman with too much aggression. Is their one particular section I should surf you suggest Slayer?

Ghost I love that advice, I can't draw pretty chicks so I shall continue with the self portraits.

Doing self portraits is very relaxing.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I only surf the WIP section on cgtalk because the finished pieces are too incredible and i often just stare in amazement.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like classic burn-out. I think we all go through it eventually. Mine lasted over 3 years. tongue.gif