Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

War Beast - Hipoly Character

S-S
S-S
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
S-S polycounter lvl 18
- Hi! Haven't posted anything for a while

- I have been working on this one last weekend. Started with old character mesh, and reshaped it and cut new detail.

- He is some sort of warcraftish fantasy game monster, except no big teeth
- I think i will add hammer and some clothes for him later this week, have to take a small break, used whole weekend without daylight modeling in new Silo 1.4 ooo.gif

CnC Welcome!

P.S.
- Any tips for modeling jobs? Still looking for any kind of 3d work... frown.gif

20050509_war_beast_01.jpg

20050509_war_beast_02.jpg

- Here are the clothes. Will make better render tomorrow!

20050511_war_beast_01.jpg

Replies

• Nostradamus
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    I demand blood!
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    his waist area looks a little thin, but I guess thats excusable since its a monster. anyways I think this guy could have been much easier made in zbrush or a combination of basemesh in silo the rest in zbrush, you could put in alot more detail with that as well, plus possibly not take up as much time
  • S-S
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    mr_Rockstar:
    - As much time? - No offense, but i don't know what is much for you smile.gif
    - i don't actually know how much top pro guys use time for a character. For, me this takes 15+ hours and maybe then another 10+ hours on top of old mesh, pure polygon pulling / cutting...
    - I know i can add detail in zbrush, but this time i wanted to keep result clean...

- This is actually a topic which has bothered me from time to time - i see in cgtalk and in other forums, guys talking about making hires cages in 6-8 hours... then again, most of the games don't have that many hi quality hipoly characters+clothes, neither have these guys in their galleries smile.gif
    - It would be actually very interesting to know how much time they use for each character in Blizzard or in Namco (tekken5 hires character...), i kinda guess the process isn't linear, but anyway smile.gif
  • Showster
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting ish, think you could work the concept more! looks really clean smile.gif

But its pretty much Brock Lesnar with an orc head lol

I'd the hands!, how have you set the mesh up to deform? if you plan to animate him that is!

Good luck

Show cool.gif
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    There's some anatomy problems around his waist/hip area as the previous post mentioned, i believe it's the fact that he has no hips, his leg muslces should come up higher on the outer sides and form into hims, it seems very sectioned off as if you can see where the torso ends, the waist is, then there legs on the bottom side of the waist, the body is a bit different from that. from the waist up the model looks good though, you should just make him look as bulky and thick down below.
  • -=Warhead=-
    Offline / Send Message
    -=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
    is he cross eyed?.. BTW excellent hi poly char wink.gif
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    excellent work, S-S, always glad to see you post. my first impression (as is often the case when viewing your work), is that this fella gives an excellent sense of volume. part of that's due to the render, i'm sure, but everything looks so well dilineated that i feel like i reach out and pick him up, like an action figure smile.gif looking forward to how you deck this fellow out and paint him up.
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    That's beautiful! I love the smooth and believable shape he has, abd his biuld isn't too insulting either. Can we see a Wireframe?
  • S-S
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    -=Warhead=-:
    - Hehe! - nope, but he has very slanted eyes - i think it gives the impression when you don't see iris smile.gif

gauss:
    - I glad to head that... that is something i have tried to work on! - i have noticed that i still have to do some work on this area a lot... i work a lot on curvature of model, and use most of my modeling time tweaking mesh up and down, after the topology is "ok"
    - Another thing is the overall pose.... how characters stand and how heavy their arms feel... i would like to learn this better... I think BOBO is really good at this - he should do some hires chars too smile.gif
    - Kolby Jukes is also really amazing.... been looking his images a lot smile.gif

Showster:
    "Brock Lesnar" - Hehe! smile.gif

- I'm working on clothes, will post image later when i get it more finished...
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    The head is striking. Very nicely done, but the body comes across as a formulaic style. The muscle placement is too even.

Scott
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    It looks like a He-Man action figure sans weapons & armor.
    Many of the forms seem a bit soft & underdetailed. I'd say Zbrush him up a bit. Add some irregularity & surface detail.
  • S-S
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Updated mesh render! See first post...
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    smart as f**k man, armour really adds to it!
    nippalz!
  • -=Warhead=-
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you just say nipple rooster ?

BTW SS Excellent very excellent job on the armor.. i can't wait to see the full textured project
  • S-S
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Updated Hires render!

:-=Warhead=-

- I hope I had zillion hours of time to waste - Just used 2 hours last night for importing the mesh to 3dsmax.... i also set smoothing groups to all 50 objects
    - i think i will change smoothing groups to micro bevels, to get proper curved edges/bumps to leatherbelts...

- i think i will have to do something to render setup, this one takes 1hours for GI preprocessing... smile.gif
    - Also forgot to activate hand morph - that is the reason for hand not holding the hammer properly....
  • -=Warhead=-
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going to point that out but i didn't want to be to picky lol (Him not holding the hammer).
    And wow lol 1hour for GI processing is a long time tongue.gif..
    Well.. Good luck with the smoothing groups and all wink.gif
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks a thousand times better with the equipment and clothing. It was a pretty good model to begin with (if very boring), and as Scott said the muscles look far too "regular" and uniform to really appear natural and organic, I think.

He looks very cool now with the extra equipment and detail though. Would be fun to generate a normal-map from that guy. Say, 5000 triangles for the lowpoly, and a couple of 1024x1024 maps, it would probably look great with a good specular and diffuse map!

Nice work!

MoP
  • -=Warhead=-
    Offline / Send Message
    I Just found something else i don't like
    Look at your guys knee caps..
    Their a little to boxy for me.. I think you should make them a little bit bigger and maybe a bit more round
    -EDIT- He dosen't have any nipples..
    -Edit- Also an idea.. maybe you could give him a cool helmet.. and i hope thats not a pony tail laugh.gif.. If it is i would say take it off because i hate guy ponytails lol.. but whatever floats your boat

Mop and Scott, I don't know what your talking about when you say the muscles look to normal.. To me they look excellent.. one buff orc wink.gif
  • S-S
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    -=Warhead=-:

- Yes, toes and knees are updated! smile.gif

"pony tail"

- Hehe smile.gif

Belt and armor edge bevels:

20050513_war_beast_01.jpg

Knee and toe fixes:

20050513_war_beast_02.jpg

Wireframe:

20050513_war_beast_03.jpg
  • shokora
    Offline / Send Message
    shokora polycounter lvl 18
    OMG! that is so cool, its very nice smile.gif
    the muscles made very good smile.gif
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    very nice,id crap my pants if i ran into this guy
  • Enix
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice, I love the flow smile.gif. Thats how i like it, nice and clean laugh.gif. [huggles you]
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    i saw the model before i saw the nick and i knew immediately who's it was. nice job as always man smile.gif