Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

anyone wanna make a real cyberpunk mod?

usagi
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
usagi polycounter lvl 18
ive had an incling to do this for a while now. a real gibson inspired cyberpunk game. none of this power-armoured mohawked "punk" crap

i mean all the cyberpunk stereotypes. street samurai chicks, brooding mal-nurished netrunners, ubiquitous mirror shades and whole lotta neon. i'd like to update cyberpunk for 2005 too. i think fiber optics woven into a female player models hair would be a ncie touch, off the top of my head

i know theres a couple cyberpunk mods out there, but they arent quite cutting it for me. cyberpunk is all about style, which they do have to an extent, but they need an EDGE. don't get me wrong, some look great, especially dystopia. they just arent what i think of when i think of cyberpunk

im thinking some simple team based gameplay with some bad ass art. possibly scrappy rebels versus zaibatsus? maybe some gang war stuff? ive got some gameplay ideas based around cyberspace that ill go into detail with anyone whos interested.

reply here or pm me if anyones interested - of course no offense intended on anyone working on anything cyberpunk related

Replies

• jzero
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    When I think of true Cyberpunk, I think of William Gibson's original 'Neuromancer', as well as all his short stories from OMNI. 'Neuromancer' had, if you remember, Case the neurally-damaged-and-then-repaired console cowboy who spent his days in the original vision of virtual reality; Molly the mirror-eyed street muscle chick who had to spit instead of cry; The Dixie Flatline, a dead computer crime legend whose personality and skills had been encoded into an expert-system ROM cartridge; Wintermute the all-seeing AI with a network access problem; the orbital Zion Kluster and its spacebound Rastafarians; the mimetically-camouflaged Panther Moderns gang, who committed acts of wanton anonymous terrorism for the opportunity to videotape the chaos; and the Turing Registry cops from Berne, who would bust you for aiding in the augmentation of an AI's legally-constrained intelligence. And yeah, it looked a lot like 'Bladerunner', which came out the year before.

Doesn't seem like a lot there which you could build a teamplay mod on.

/jzero
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Too many large mod projects attempt to do team based gameplay, I think you'd stand out more by going a each-on-his-own route.

Though I doubt the feel of cyberpunk can be adequately described without using a somewhat persistent universe since trust, allegiance and contacts seem to play a rather large role in the genre.
  • usagi
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    haha, oh, i remember neuromancer grin.gif

how the game plays is secondary to me for this project. mostly what i want is to make a world similar gibson's, or just my own spin on it. im thinking maybe ill just make up some characters and some environments. some BAMA or night city streets or something

true, it'd be a somewhat shallow interpretation. thats cool with me. im just sick of stuff that borrows some nanotech or augs or something from deus ex being called cyberpunk.

the team based aspect is more to make development easier. since its a pretty established formula for mods by now.
  • bearkub
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    In case you wanted to spice up game play and hold to your theme, you could always make it a single player mission based mod where your character IS a netrunner and you have to run various missions and deliveries.

I only suggest this because I really have to agree with KDR in the fact that the team-based stuff is getting kinda ho-hum.

Good luck with whatever you decide on. =]
  • Sett
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Here's an idea, a One vs. All Gametype. In a map with dozens -hundreds(if possible) NPCs. Street map with crowded ped traffic. The 'One' would have to blend in with the NPCs -a hide in plane site type stealth. Players would spawn with a random Mesh. One of the All is the Hit. He and the rest of the All do not know whom the Hit is. The Hit is plainly identified to the 'One'. The mission would have to be complete in a set amount of time. 3~10 min? And after the hit is done the 'one would have to escape to a (random?) extraction point.(?maybe)

There would be n number of rounds based on n number of players.

Points for taking out opposing players.
    Negative points for killing/ wounding NPCs and Teammates.
    Points for completing the mission( killing the Hit).
    And large points for completing the mission the fastest. This would be awarded at the end of all the rounds.

The goal would be to complete the mission the fastest.
  • DarkSign
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkSign polycounter lvl 18
    We are building a cyberpunk MMO project. We have 25+ people and would love to bring more people into the team.

Check us out at www.conflictomega.com
  • usagi
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    hmmm, definitely some good ideas. i think if i do my own thing it'll be less of a mod and more of just some playable environments for ut2k4 or maybe hl2

Darksign, im very interested in working on that project. ill pm you and drop by your messageboards
  • Dean Avanti
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean Avanti polycounter lvl 18
    I have a CyberPunk game
    Check it out- Altered State.
    http://www.planetunreal.com/alteredstate
  • DarkSign
    Offline / Send Message
    Drop on by. We are always looking for more artists. Things are progressing quite nicely and we'd love to add you to the group.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    Few people want to join indy MMO projects.
  • DarkSign
    Offline / Send Message
    Which is understandable, considering the types of people who usually start those posts.

But we're not those guys. We have over 25 members, a solid design, and whats more an even more solid development process.

Anyone who paints all projects by the cliche isnt thinking very hard. (Not saying you just those who underestimate us)
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    So you've also got the hundreds of thousands of dollars the equipment is going to cost?
  • usagi
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    yeah im kinda confused about how an indy mmorpg would work. whatever. id like to have a hand in making a world as big as the one described on your site. it looks like a cool project, though it's more post-apocalyptic to me.

ill drop by your forums when i get my comp working a little smoother
  • DarkSign
    Offline / Send Message
    Please do.

"So you've also got the hundreds of thousands of dollars the equipment is going to cost? "

Well you're wrong about the cost to start with. While there's no doubt that to create something on the order of WoW youd need millions for development, we are progressing quite well using the Torque Shader Engine to support our MMO.

Josh Ritter a one man programming powerhouse already has a working MMO called Minions of Mirth which utilizes the Torque Game Engine. Check out www.prairiegames.com

It can and will be done. We are looking for all kinds of people willing to seriously contribute to a worthwhile team.

No need to doubt, come check us out.