Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mine cart for enviroment piece

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
Wip of a mine cart for a mine enviroment,ill be adding a few more little kick knacks to the cart to give it some history.

render6wb.th.jpg

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    makes me want to watch Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom!
    The texture is pretty monochromatic, it needs some color variation.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    nice one, but indeed looks a bit bland, you may want to add rust, dust, scratches and such, unless it's cartoony smile.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    The cart itself looks to be modeled for realism, but the chains and the light isn't. I would pick a direction and go with it. Change some of the angles on the cart and the texture if it's cartoony othewise change the chain and the light models to make them more realistic. Overall though, looks pretty good, just tweak it out a bit.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    lost the chain for now,added rust to liven it up a tad.

render1ih.th.jpg
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey JO420

What look are you going for? im still abit confused which way you are going with this. I feel it still looks cartoony,can't really put my finger on why though...maybe its the general design rather than the texture that doesit.

Also some of that rust screams overlay...especially along the top rims,try and get some nice scratchs and depth going on there the rest looks pretty good though.

Also you could add some oily or rustic coloured stains running down it as well as dirting up those wheels as well.

Its a good start you just need to work into it a fair amount more.

John
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    im confused on what "cartoony" really means,if its the way i modeled it id like to know what cartoony about it?

is it that bad to styilize something with realistic qualities?? the look im going for is of a victorianish built cart.hence the organic look lamp hanger and lamp

also hows this for a lava texture??

too tiled?? im leaning towards too tiled??

but does it look like lava? and any tips on how to make it less tileable looking?

lavarander0wj.th.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    nice

lamp is dumb.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Hey, nice job! though I think the wheels whould look a bit more tattered than that.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    trackrender0lf.th.jpg

going rather slow on thisenviroment, on and off really but i really want quality works for my website.

here is track,tried to make it a a combo of dirt and rust with portions of steel still undirty due to mine cart riding it.
  • Mr Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Ray polycounter lvl 18
    Unless those tracks are never used, i would add some shine to the tracks.
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Nice works , really quality (like You said)I will only give some poor steel (more gray) in the top of this tracks. Cool.
  • flachdrache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    Since you flip and mirror the (lave) texture its just 1/4 of the actual size. smile.gif
    Dont mirror but use the copybrush to make the texture a single, non-repeating surface.

The lore looks good and the track too - put it all together and you end up by doing a nice jumpandrun level smile.gif.

I guess the textures are looking a little cartoony because of the color variation - realworld "textures" are much "deeper".
    Youll know what i mean if you study some ref_images (photos).
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    i think it's moreso the modeling that makes the cart look cartoony. it's got GIANT wheels.... and those give it a cute-sy, happy, look. See how wheels with half the radius look maybe?
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    good suggestion ty
  • flachdrache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i think it's moreso the modeling that makes the cart look cartoony. it's got GIANT wheels.... and those give it a cute-sy, happy, look.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Agreed. smile.gif