Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

review on my gun remade ;)

-=Warhead=-
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
-=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
Okay so as you know my first gun sucked smile.gif.
guns.jpg

But i've made some improovements and heres what i came up with..

aaa.jpg

Yes i've only been using maya for 1-2 months.. its my first gun.. besides it being blocky and the trigger bring to big, or to far from the handle.. feed back please laugh.gif

Replies

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    this is a terrible model of a gun, haha, it's kinda funny. how the hell would it work dude? it reminds me of a barbarella weapon. it's got needless buttons on the back, heh. but hey, practice makes perfect son. keep your chin up and your nose to the grind.
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey lol, i didn't use any refrence.. and yeah its all cuby because im not very good at you know.. smoothing it and circling it i guess you could call it.. i just made a cube and went from there laugh.gif.. thanks for the feedback
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hmm, pretty sure if you really concentrated you could come up with something a lot better. Can you imagine grabbing a handle like that? Think about how you're supposed to use the thing.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    well, it's a lumberjack's xbox laser rifle.
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    be quiet its my first gun model.. i made it in about 1-5 days.. laugh.gif.. so being so negative for a 1-2 monther lol , yeah i didn't really pay attention to the grabbing and the triggers and stuff but.. hey its a shot
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hey man sorry I didn't mean to sound so negative, don't take it to heart smile.gif. To put it nicer I mean that when making stuff if you consider how people interact with it, you'll end up with a stronger piece of work. Keep at it, try to check out some reference and figure out why stuff is shaped like it is, and also why cool shapes look cool.

And also what I meant to imply is you have potential to make something better, if you think hard about it and plan beforehand. Hey you asked for crits wink.gif. Try to imagine how it would look if you modelled it perfectly, then see how close you can get.
  • Andopolis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andopolis polycounter lvl 18
    you should try to work on making the stock and handle look separate from the rest of the gun. having them all the same width isn't helping the asthetics.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    What gun? I don't see any gun.
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    It's the profile-extrude cannon! You should really try to vary your shapes more. right now it's all square and has the same widt. It needs variation.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Seriously, what gun? I don't even see an image there.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the first thing you should learn, is to forget the smooth-shading or subdivisions.
    If you rely on those to make a box a ball (so to speak), you're going about it all wrong. While you may look into smoothings and subdivisions and smoothinggroups later, right now you should probably focus on creating the shape you have in mind, much more than letting the computer decide for you.
    What the computer does will never be what you want (not in this case, i mean) because you don't give it enough information. You should start by making sure there's profile-information on all sides, because as it is now, if you look at it from the top it's a box.
    There's is nothing there to suggest its a gun, except from one viewpoint, and that's the side. If you modelled this in perspective view: you're obviously not ready to use perspective view, and you would most likely be better off using the side and top-views untill you understand 3D space better.
    Perhaps you can step it up a notch, and try to make something more organic, like a simple boxy character?
    And then don't smooth it when you show it to us smile.gif
  • cold_electric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cold_electric polycounter lvl 18
    Try Wings3D if you want to extrude everything from just a simple cube.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Listen to MightyPea, he’s hit the nails on the head. And listen to Rooster, think about function and form. Sketch your ideas out, its better to waste time on paper than to find out five days later that your whole design is flawed or you’ve forgot about something.

As weapons go think about reloading, firing, aiming, accuracy of your projectile and what Rooster said about interface. I started in to projectile weapons with paintball guns, using polygon cylinders with 6-8 sides. If I was you, I would try to stick to realistic things for now and try to see the basic shape in things. Kinda like when drawing humans, Cylinders and rectangles.

This is a start out the primitives and you have another solid year to go, so don't be discourage, practice makes perfect. I would suggest at least do one new static model a week for now. And up the amount up every week, the more models you need to do. The faster you need to go and start explore faster ways of doing things in order to keep up your weekly quota. Then in years time or less you can explore texturing or character modeling.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I think this could be the beginning of a beautiful mod.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    lumberjack's xbox laser rifle 2006?