Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Face Painting

sadness.jpgsadness.gif
After reading a few tutorials MoP and Ryno posted in another thread, I set out to attempt to put that new found knoweldge to the test. I think I had some pretty good success, but I still need A LOT more practice. I ended up calling this one sadness even tho I didn't intend until close to the end to make it sad. I decided to catalog my progress so I can learn from it, and I did! I now have ideas that should speed up the process next time. I know I made a few mistakes along the way and hopefully I can learn from them. If anyone has any suggestions, tips, tricks, I would love to hear em =)

To give you some kind of idea what I learned, about the 4th step was all I could do before reading the tutorials.

Here are the tutorials I read that opened my eyes to a few things.
http://www.furiae.com/index.php?view=gallery
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=227727
http://www.gfxartist.com/features/tutorials/14033

This one doesn't really apply to "painting" but more to construction of a head.
http://www.anticz.com/heads.htm

Replies

• qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    you just inspired me to paint a selfportait. that i havent done so long now...
  • Nina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nina polycounter lvl 18
    Oooo... sexy face.
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    Okay i must write some crit now.
    You definatly need to watch your lights.
    I dont have a problem with rough paintings its okay and overpolishing doesnt make sense anyway when you learn so ...
    still i think its way to soft and lacks detail/definition.
    And one face cannot really be it.
    Come on make a bunch defirent. find out about the muscles that are under the skin and get some better definition of them. I am tryin to motivate you here abit just in case its not obvious wink.gif

I recommend painting a whole head instead of the flat of a face btw.
    that way u can get a better feel for the depth.

this way u might learn abit for skinning but i found that u must learn the whole anyway... however.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not really interested (right now) at learning to paint perspective I am sure its a great tool to have and I should practice it at some point by the reason I started it was to work on skinning faces.

One of the main reasons it came out so over polished is that I was so sloppy with my brush work in the begining and had to cover up and blend a lot of strokes. Also I never decided on a light source early on and it switches places a few times as I was going.

Yes I do plan on doing more but I might model some heads to go with them so I can practice getting it to look right on a model instead of the canvas. I'm not really into learning scene painting but more of what will directly help me become a better texture artist. I'm sure at some point I should (and will) work on entire scenes with shape, form, perspective, just not right now.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I feel as though yuo are relying far too much on light airbrushed strokes. looks a bit 'ghosty'. try gettting a bit of sharpness in there, perhaps using some harder brushes.

Another common mistake is to go from darker tone to a bight higlight, missing out the colourful mid tone.
    In fact for me the mid tone is the most important bit.If I get that right then painting usualy works out fine
    I may have read this on polycount but look at a photoshop gradient. put a 3 colours in it, light , mid and dark and try and use that as a guide.
    You could, even add more colours and see how they are working together, not only in terms of light and dark , but also warm and cool colours.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty cool Vig!

Boy that eyeball tut was tops - I see where I have been making lots of mistakes, thanks.