Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Colt .41 from 1894

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lore polycounter lvl 18
Okay I’m back with another model that I finally finished texturing. Crits are welcomed but I’m done with this thing as I have been working on it so long trying new techniques that didn't work out as time savers (I’m little tired at looking at it right now). So with all the set backs it took way too long to texture. Just a note the models on the top and right have antialiasing and the standard filters on them from Max 7, while the ones on the right and bottom don’t. This was made in mind of a MOD in Unreal 4, which by now has fallen to the incompletion curse, but I felt like complete this last thing for the texture work with metal experience.

t_Colt41_texture_001.jpg

t_Colt41_texture_002.jpg

t_Colt41_texture_003.jpg

t_Colt41_texture_004.jpg

t_Colt41_wire_001.jpg

t_Colt41_wire_002.jpg

t_Colt41_wire_003.jpg

t_Colt41_wire_004.jpg

colt_texture_01.jpg

colt_specular_01.jpg

The original post: http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=21671&an=0&page=8#21671

Replies

• steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    It looks like a solid weapon model Lore, good job.
    I do think however that the skin could use more spic n span, more highlights on the edges like at the top of the gun and maybe add some environment light color to the silver. Try to find any references you can whether they are from other mods or maybe half life. Right now the skin is just mediocre, but with a solid model like this it could turn out A+
    I understand that youre finished with it, but keep this in mind for future weapon models, and/or maybe one day you'll come back to it.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Steady on the tid bits and praise of the model. I might do as you suggested in maybe a month once I have moved on to another piece and I'm willing to work on this again.

I was thinking the specular map would give me the highlight information I needed, but I can add in a white with yellow in it on the parts that should be facing up. And to help it further I could add in little more blue to the shadows to cool that area off to turn them more down. Your are right it is now looking really plain now that I have distance myself from it for a day.

As far as environment lighting, my major concern here is when the gun is moving through a relative dark place with really low lighting (the game ‘was’ to be in a run down Asylum with flickering lights and drab wall colors) to an outdoors snow covered woods. Both are in complete contrast and I would like to stick to those restrictions. So the question is, I'm to go with an environment map on this model do I stick with where you spend most of the time in the game inside the Asylum and make the gun look out of place outside in the snow. Or do I do some crazy environment map that reflects nothing of the environment it is in with greens and reds?
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    thats definitely important, i did not consider that, i guess your best bet would be trial and error, see what looks best
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Well that is mostly my fault, as I didn't give you all the information that you needed to know on the 'game' in question.

As you stated the best way is to drop in a Set of Layers and test it by adding in a verity of colors. Or another solution could be to texture one for inside and one for a outside environments. But I think your suggestion will work better, Steady.

Thanks grin.gif