Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My portfolio site is up...

GoK
GoK
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
GoK polycounter lvl 18
Hey chaps finaly got the chance to get a website up and running it aint much but id really like some comments on the work i put in my portfolio... if i should add or remove anything.. also does the site work correctly for you? thnks in advance!

PS i got my own domain name which is

www.jodygallagher.co.uk ... but it wont be up for another 24 hours apparently.. does anyone know how i go about linking this domain to my current site... sorry about all the questions but im complete amature when it comes to web sites!

Jody

http://www.real-lamerz.co.uk/std/ - working address..

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Cute site!
    One thing it suffers from is scroll bar fighting. The main window scroll bar, and the one inside your frames there get a bit annoying when quickly looking through your stuff, but not a big deal.

It all seems a bit tightly packed in, I could only imagine most of this is very difficult to read/navigate at a higher screen resolusion. Color scheme is a bit bright for your content. How about moving the links to your portfolio up a few notches on the menu bar?

As far as content goes, your characters look great at a distance, but a ot of the detail falls apart up close with blurry texturing. Your newest character, the tiger, is an exception.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the cleanness of the site and the fading orange squares in the background. Plus the moving nav bar, that's pretty cool. It makes me think that they're moving pistons.

I think your main body design is to narrow. You need to run at least a resolution of 1248x1024 to view the whole thing. At 1024x768 (most people resolutions) it still appears to narrow. I also feel your content space should be bigger. Its good that you have a large image that open in another window for your gallery as that would scare me if it loaded up in that tiny content frame.

Plus space your font away from the border of the orange table in your content area. Some of your letters like your 'i' is hard to read with it right on the edge.

Oh and change 'About Us' link to [About Me]. We are starting to think you are Venom. You also might want to put that your CV (Resume) is available upon request under Contact and Downloads. Or you can create a link that's called CV and state that as there are HR (Human Resource) people who will be looking for it and if they have to hunt long for it they will give up. Plus get ride of the 'Post by Jody'. This is your site not someone else’s unless someone else designed or posts to this site.

Some nice work. I would like to see the texture flat of the tiger. When you get your next character done and post that on your site, get rid of the Various models, as they bring down the other art (speak of which that is something I need to do on my site... smile.gif ).

On your Download frame you need to get rid of the space between the e and p in hope.

Get rid of the Links page if your going to have the Affiliates frame. Or get rid of it and move your navigation bar up in to your banner area, that way you can make your content frame wider. I'm not sure about doing this, I'm just brainstorming.

Another suggestion is don't use this wording "I can be contacted at [snipped out email] if anyone needs to ask anything or for prospective employers to get more details". This sounds to me that you’re separating yourself or distancing yourself from being reachable. I would go with [Contact me at [email address] if you have any questions.] Its short and sweet and to the point.

Your drawing and painting has a very unique style, which is different from your texture work on your models. But in my opinion my own skills are not good enough yet to try at characters yet so I can’t be much help in critiquing your characters Jody. I would really like to see the texture flat of the tiger guy as I see some texture stretching and blurriness on the blade. The chainmail pattern looks good but I'm bothered by his chest piece is looking to clean compared to the blood and tarnish on his blade. As far as function to form goes the handle (stick) wouldn’t go into a blade like that. Usually there is a metal cylinder around the shaft especial on a curved end if the shaft can’t go all the way through like an axe. I do really like the work with the fur. Great job.

Oh as far as the linking, you should get a IP address for your new site consisting of four groups of up to three digit numbers. The reason as to why it takes 24 hours is that your site name has to propagate out to other servers that combination of characters ( jodygallagher.co.uk) is associated to that IP address. Sometimes it may take up to 48 hours or three days. My site took about 16 hours locally for me. But in the States east coast it took something like 26 hours (time of day issue I think).[/email]
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Wow cheers man great crits thier that was exactly what i wanted, sometimes its hard to see the trees for the forest.. or the other way around.. anyway ill change most of the stuff you mentioned also iv toned the colour down a little i though it was a tad bright. Thank you very much Lore and cholden great stuff.

@Lore

*Ill try and widen the main section a bit but its quite complicated and i think it might just mess up all the layout..

*space the words out from the border

*CChange about us and add CV

*get rid of the space between the e and p in hope

*Get rid of the Links page

* change to [Contact me at [email address] if you have any questions.]

Think i got them all again thanks... im getting a .co.uk addy so it said it wouldd be less than 24 hours so im hoping that means tonight.

laugh.gif

Jody[/email]
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I like the layout of the site.
    Because of the fixed site size for 800x600 you are working with a small area. The top banner and menu take up a lot of space and don't leave a lot of room for the site content like Lore mentioned also.
    The content is what it's all about. The rest is just window dressing smile.gif

If you have made this site as a portfolio to show to for possible employers then I would go for a 1024x768 resolution or make the tables size automatically with the size of the browser.

A couple of things that hit me right away:
    - Times new roman font = good for print, bad for web
    - Italic font = hard to read from a monitor. Don't use it for whole paragraphs, just to highlight specific words that need to jump out.
    - I would make the gallery frame a bit larger. Maybe don't show the 2 boxes with information and links above it besides on the opening screen to make some more room for the graphics gallery.
    - The thumbnails in the graphics page are all a different size which makes it look messy.
    - In the graphics page you need to scroll to get to the first images. Put the info that you are into 3d games modeling in the "about me" page since the art speaks for itself.
    - For all models list the poly count, number of textures and sizes.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    hi ikraan, im actualy going to redo the site partyly because of the crits here and party due to rampant pointing out it was a bit crap wink.gif ill redo it tommorow, cheers for all the input will help loads for website number 2 laugh.gif

Jody
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    cant click links, they dont know how to work! frown.gif
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    thats because i am in the midle of redoing it... as i said above wink.gif

Jody
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i dun read good.

DOH! hehe sorry
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I like where it's going Jody, I'm sure you'll let us know when it's ready. smile.gif
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    i will cheer man had to redo the whole thing.. wink.gif ill hopefully get it up finnished (again) by this weekend. cheers.

Jody
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    I have to agree with Cholden.

It was different from the standard portfolio page but still was within the standard in a certain way, which is good. I hope the "had to redo the whole thing" means you'll keep the elements that where good on it, which was still quite a lot. It’s easy for others to see the bad things than it is to see the good things.

I look forward to you next innovation. grin.gif
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    welllll i hope i have kept some of the good point... its pretty much redone completely. I do prefer it now and i hope you guys do too cos thier aint gonna be a site3 wink.gif nahh just kiding ill do what has to be done to have a good site so fire away... iv got most of the content on now so go have a look, im not sure about having my CV on thier.. cos its got my address on it but let me know what you think about that (havnt seen any other peeps having cv's on thier site...) let me know your thoughts.

Jody
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Wow this is completely different from the first one, and you whipped it up in a days’ time. I'm impressed.

You have a strong sense of typography here, except for the lone widow (single word on a line) of the word 'here' on your Home page if I’m using Netscape or Firefox. In IE the widow is gone but that is due to my own computer settings compensating for the higher resolution that I’m run. But widows in paragraphs are hard to get rid of on the Internet across different browsers, so this is not a screaming issue. However the one thing that remains consistently out of place is the top menu having the word 'Portfolio' floating over the ‘Home’ link. You'll have to correct your div width here for ‘Online Portfolio’ to appear on one line above the top nav menu.

Next thing under Firefox and IE I'm getting the side scrolling bar for left to right. You'll have to shriek your main table to 700 or smaller to compensate for the side up/down scroll bar. 1000 is a little too much and your site fits nicely in to a 1024x768 resolution. I would aim for that as most people are using these days that resolution, especially if they’re using a 17" LCD.

I like the color choice as its very calming and relaxing. But on flip side its not attention grabbing. I'm not sure what you would prefer. Because either one will speak volumes for your personality. But to me your coming across as a very calm collective person, and in my opinion this color pallet suits you better. Even though the old one worked just as well.

You have a nice cohesiveness on the layout, except on the Portfolio page. You have a space between all the bars but the one between the Tiger and text description. In fact your portfolio page is the only one that has double horizontal bars.

And the last thing is those bar's are working as great separators, but they end pretty abruptly to me. Or they seem like they are just floating there. Maybe create a graphic on either end that rounds them off or fades them off. I don't know if it will work, but give either idea a try and see if you like it. You can always go back to the original as long as you copy the folders.

You have a great set up here on your site and your doing a good call on not putting out personal information on the web. You also don’t want to put any references personal information out there. I also wouldn’t put your phone number out or you’ll get weird people (mostly from Polycount) asking if they can cook and eat your children. grin.gif You can still put up your CV but omit the personal and reference information and put in ‘available upon request’.

Now I can critique your CV if you want? I don’t have my MLA book on hand its packed in a box somewhere. But I’ll try to recall all the guidelines it gives on creating a informative Resume/CV.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Good, clean site. I'm not sure about the font or the fact that you write all the modelnames with captitals only. Is there a special reason for having two of each of the menulinks? When I highlight the links on the Download page, they push the top line of the text to the right which is a little annoying. There seems to be a mislink on the 5th tiger image (body.jpg) that brings up a pic of one of the models in the "Other Models" section. Portfolio.rar doesn't work.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Cubik, I thought that was brilliant use with the modelnames. Using all caps turns them in to a sort of head calling attention to them. The other alternative would be to change the font, make them bold or two sizes bigger, or change the colour of the modelnames to a different colour. Do you have any suggestion on what he can do to make that stand out?

Good call on the download page, Cubik. I was tied last night when I did that post and must have not noticed. Jody, your link font is changing style (or in stylesheet case weight) on mouseover in the download page. It’s going from normal to bold which is moving the rest of the words in the line. A good idea might be to create an external .cs file that handles all your fonts. That way you can do a overall font change on the fly in a matter of seconds and see how it looks very quick throughout your whole site. Plus it would cut down on size as you don’t have to type out your font commands over and over. All you have to do is call to your font name.
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    Its totaly diffrent now like you said, much better smile.gif maybe you could slim down those boarder thingys between each post.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Well, he could (and I would) use bold text instead of all-caps which makes it harder to read.

I would check your distances between the textareas and the borders too. It's a bit distracting when the distances changes from page to page.

I really think that you should tie the picture shown in the topleft corner together with the logotext. And replace the text with a logo of some sort.

The face texture for the thief model is missing.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Ok sorry to bring this thread up again but my url is now

www.jodygallagher.co.uk/

My mate barry got the whole domain crap working and a good job he did too. The old url wont work anymore

Cheers for all the support with the site guys !!

Jody

PS ill look into the design more when i get a chance.. cheers