Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zero for Quake3

RiOx
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
RiOx polycounter lvl 18
mmzero_teaser.jpg

Had this model stored in an old folder on my harddrive. One of the first meshes I built with
3dsmax, iirc. (The 4th one, I think.) Anyway, I figured I might as well slap a biped onto
him and get working on putting him ingame. Since the mesh is a bit on the lower-end of
the scale in polygon count for the likes of UT2k3/UT2k4, I'm putting him into Q3 instead.

The mesh is about 2000 polies and the skin consists of 3 256x256 maps. The skin was done by
a guy with the alias Bill, someone who also did some skins for a JKA mod I'm working on. The
facial expression is meant to give off a more dark and apathic version of the Zero in the
GBA games, while the rest of the skin remains mostly 'cartoony', since that's what the
original looked like.

Incase anyone's wondering; I should have it ready in about a week or two, considering I'm
doing a new set of animations and am a bit short on time. I'll try and get some ingame shots
up as things roll along.

Replies

• Kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirin polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, 2000 polies is just about fine in UT2k3/4 ... anything under 2000 and it just looks weird. With that aside, I think a nice masking channel would do well on the hair as well as a texture overlay to break up the colour. Right now, he looks bland. I know his reference is a 2D sprite but still ... I think 2D-to-3D migration of anything should add a bit more umph into it.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty good job RiOx, the overall body is fairly accurate (I'm sure it changes slightly based on differnt pictures of him), but the face needs a lot of work. Maybe the nose is a little weird, and genreally with MM characters it's larger helmet, smaller face.
    The texturing is weakest element here. 3x256x256? There should be VERY smooth, crispt detail and shading, but if I had to guess from looking I'd say this is less than 1x256x256. You can't really blame the cartoony style on this one, the textures need to be revisited, and possibly the UVs. Using 3x256x256 for this type of character may be wasteful.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Hm, just looked it up, apparently they've completely changed his look since MMX (well, he WAS destroyed and rebuilt a few times...). That's why your model doesn't even remotely resemble Zero in my eyes but apparently it matches the MMZ Zero.
  • RiOx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RiOx polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I guess I'll just scale the skin down to something like 128x128 then.
    Don't judge the skin too harshly yet though, I was planning on overlaying it
    with a cel shader once I put it ingame.
    The hair also does have an alpha channel, I just couldn't get it to look
    properly in 3dsMax.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    For cel shading I'd recommend no "soft" shading at all.
  • RiOx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RiOx polycounter lvl 18
    Just thought I'd make a quick little post to inform any interested parties;
    I'm going to put Zero here on a hold until I get myself a longer stretch of
    free (or atleast; less occupied with other stuff) time.
    I found some high quality official artwork depicting all kinds of nice little
    grooves, bolts and stuff like that and it looks SO damn nice, that I've
    convinced myself to redo the skin to match. smile.gif