Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Armoured SEAL girl

Kirin
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Kirin polycounter lvl 18
http://v2.saphiria.net/images/art/silverstirling_armouredseal.jpg

Just something I put together out of boredom. I plan on drawing more of her so that she could be model-able material but for now, I just have that.

And before any sailors out there wonder, I know that there are no female Navy Seals but in the year 21xx, I pretty sure that might change.

What do you think?

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Why are there no female SEALs? Is the Navy not past gender discrimination yet?

The concept needs some more work, it's not very interesting and the shapes still look rough.
  • Kirin
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirin polycounter lvl 18
    Beats me, KDR_11k. Last I checked, you had to be a 28 year old male and not be colour blind ... that and pass a whole battery of tests to be a SEAL. I would guess that 100-some apply to be SEALs but only 10 make it through.

As with the idea ... it's still floating around ... I haven't made any solid ideas yet.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think its got something to do with females not being able to make it through the training...

its the same as out (english) marines, women can serve, but only in the comunications wings, for the reasons that 1. they rarely make it through the training (if ever). and the fact that because of the environments the marines have to go to, sometimes having a woman as part of your unit can be a weakness, not because of her physical strength, but because everyone will be looking out for her, instead of doing their job.

still macho bullshit tho :P

looks like a good sketch smile.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    20X6
    Nah All branches of the military don't want to put women directly on the frontline.
  • m3rl1n
    Offline / Send Message
    m3rl1n polycounter lvl 18
    I think the biggest reason no women are allowed in either Special Forces or Combat Arms is because, past gender equality, there is no reason why they NEED to be. The military is about getting the job done, and spending billions extra/making exceptions for woman just on the basis of equality is not logical.

Also consider that even though the US may be past gender discrimination many of the countries in which SF operate are not… SF may be tasked with blending into a culture and a woman walking around freely in an area where woman are oppressed might draw a little too much attention.

As for the concept - looks cool, but I would think more along the lines of what would be practical, and in what conditions she is operating in. SF groups are generally trained in specific climates.

So my suggestion would be to first figure out exactly what her job is - if it’s the future does she do ship-to-ship operations in outer space? Or work on a hostile planet? Or is she still working on Earth, and if so, in what climate?

Also when designing her gear consider weight vs. usefulness depending on the environment; If she is working in extreme heat light armor, and more water may be preferable - in extreme cold the opposite.

Once you have that figured out it won’t be hard to design the look to fit.
  • Kirin
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirin polycounter lvl 18
    Weiser_Cain ... I suppose it could change by 20X6 ... it's just that I don't like to abuse 20X6 like a bad habit. That and the year seems to be used by a lot of folks so I picked something different. My story also takes place in 2100's so that's what I picked. tongue.gif

Here's a second sketch. This one is of a head+shoulders drawing: http://v2.saphiria.net/images/art/silverstirling_sealbust.jpg
  • Kirin
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirin polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    As for the concept - looks cool, but I would think more along the lines of what would be practical, and in what conditions she is operating in. SF groups are generally trained in specific climates.

So my suggestion would be to first figure out exactly what her job is - if it’s the future does she do ship-to-ship operations in outer space? Or work on a hostile planet? Or is she still working on Earth, and if so, in what climate?

Also when designing her gear consider weight vs. usefulness depending on the environment; If she is working in extreme heat light armor, and more water may be preferable - in extreme cold the opposite.

Once you have that figured out it won’t be hard to design the look to fit.

[/ QUOTE ] Thanks for the input m3rl1n. She's supposed to be like a space marine type of soldier ... a bit like the Master Chief petty officer from Halo. So in a way, she's all-terrain because every planet has different terrains and different kinds of monsters. I'm sure in the future, they would develop an all-terrain armour. But if I had to give her a speciality, it would be space combat since it fits well with my story. I suppose I could add rockets and weapon attachments or something ... I haven't decided yet.