Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fat Alien

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Floyd polycounter lvl 18
I wanted some C&C on this model. It is actually finished, but I might change somethings if it is concerning the texture/specular/normalmap. The model was made for a project of http://www.apollostudio.nl. And if everything goes as planned you may expect more pics in the near future (but god knows what can happen).

Well let we begin with the concept:
aliencommander.jpg

The lowpolymodel:
tlowfbl.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~wijng123/lowfbl.jpg

The normalmappedmodel:
tnmappedfbl.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~wijng123/nmappedfbl.jpg

and another pic (already posted in "So what are you working on?" thread):
tnmappedcopy.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~wijng123/nmappedcopy.jpg

The concept was done by Giza-Di and all the other stuff showed here done by me smile.gif.
So please post your C&C (Please note this is my first normalmapped character). I might not use it on these model anymore, but it is good to know, so I can do better on my next model wink.gif

Replies

• Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    i like it! but if this is the light weaponry i would hate to run into the heavy ones! laugh.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    It looks pretty good, but its difficult to tell whats normal maps, and what is diffuse texture.
    It'd be helpful to post 3 versions. Low poly, low poly with normals, high poly(if you did a high poly), and the final with diffuse texture.
    Texture flats might also be nice.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    This is cool as hell, really dig the consept kinda reminds me of HALO a bit laugh.gif i think you could have got a lot more out of the consept but it look nice man!

Jody
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    awesome.
    I think the whole thing works very well.
    Its all weirdy and shit.. looks good!
    You chose a good concept to work from.

only thing that looks off to me is the way you modelled his forearm. the way the anatomy works there.. spreading out from the elbow on a weird angle + muscles.. hmm dunno about that.

Cool shit anyways, it would work very well in game.

Design wise (and this entirely may be renderring fault) I think the armor blends in with the body. It is hard to tell it's shape, and as the one carrying out the concept it's your job to push it a little further so it reads as good in 3D as it does as a 2d painting. Some black outlines /edges /etc. would help convey the armor design a little more.

This is a goodo example of how strong concept design easily replaces maticulous detailing, z brushing and general violance towards pixels.

I understand its not your concept, I hope you are sure to take these strong qualities that makes this model what it is and carry them out on your next models.

Keep em coming!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    awesome, I'd love to see a version in those original colours
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    Floyd damn nice job laugh.gif I cant wait to see the ingame screenshots soon. I agree with rooster about the colors but like you said it is hard to match them maybe someone has any pointers on that?
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    Yes , I like it.
    Nice,simple and clear mesh !
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I think this model is great.. but the concept is alot stronger. I like how the concept has the head as a focus point.. (lighting.. color..the eyes) In the model version the head is kinda lost and the gun with its neon lights is overpowering a tad. I would really just bring back the lighting and visual focus the head has in the concept.

Great model though.. lost of fatyness and tubes 'n stuff. smile.gif
  • Floyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Floyd polycounter lvl 18
    Here are some other renders and the maps.
    Normalmap only:
    graynmapped.jpg

Highpoly version, the body and head were done in Zbrush, the rest in 3dsmax:
    thighflb.jpg
    http://home.planet.nl/~wijng123/highflb.jpg

Model with only diffuse texture:
    tdiffonly.jpg
    http://home.planet.nl/~wijng123/diffonly.jpg

Diffuse texture:
    texture.jpg

Normalmap:
    normalmap.jpg

Specularmap:
    spec.jpg

@Shotgun:Your right about the arms. I think it's because I modeled it in a weird position.
    The armor is not blending in the body, as you can see above. But I agree there is much room for improvement there.

Next time I will draw the front/side first, so I have better guidelines to stay closer to the concept. Was a bit lazy this time smile.gif

@Rooster: I'm gonna do antoher diffuse texture. But I do find it hard to get it in the right colors.

@Swampbug: The lights are temporarly. I put a glow shader on them (the one that comes with 3dsmax). Ingame I hope for a more subtle way to do the glow.

About the normalmap, I did add bump details with NvidiaPhotoshop plugin. Combined the two and then used the normalize option of this plugin, instead of bringing the blue channel back to 128. I don't know if had any different effect in the end.

But I think the biggest drawback on this model is my lack of experience with modeling highpoly stuff. Thats why some details like those things on his elbow are not in my normalmap (and ofcourse the rush to finish it in time).

So I will do a couple of objects in highpoly to improve there.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    IMO you have painted too much lightning into diffuse.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    very cool concept ind.!!

but about the diffuse-lightning:

would be interresting to see how this would effect the look under different light positions bc. he only painted the highth and downs, so there is no real light-sorce