Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hi-poly Cinematic Models

dom
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dom polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys. I haven't been active for a long LONG time. Couldn't seem to log-in so I registered again. I posted some work a year back(has it been that long?), Gothgirl for CBP2, UT2K4. Its been so long since then and I'd like to show you guys what I've been up to. Mainly hipoly work for my demoreel which you can download here:

modeling & texturing reel (43Mb)

I'm freelancing at the moment, doing some really cool realtime characters (I can't say which game though). I'm also looking out for any fulltime work and yeah, I'll relocate. You can find more works at my website. All crits are more than welcomed as usual. Thanks!

Don't squint. Here are the hi-res pics cool.gif:
Berserker Hi-res pic
Huntress Hi-res pic
dorc_1b_web.jpg

hunt_1a_web.jpg

This guy is still a wip.
wip_udwar_07.jpg

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Already downloaded your reel since it was plugged on CG Talk! Still in awe at your textures.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I remember this off cgtalk as well. Dude no crits from me my friend, though I wish you would finish that undead warrior. Superb work!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    looking pretty sweet dude, the one thing I don't like too much is the huntresse's head, the face looks like it could use more work, same with the hair. other than that looks pimp... makes me wish I could show off my new work smile.gif good luck dude.
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    yeah.. loved your reel. still got it on my comp for inspiration. rockstar is right about the face though.

and i hope you're gonna texture the undead warrior smile.gif cant wait to see it
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Dom good to see your work back on polycount again. Great stuff.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Dom, very good to see your progress since Gothgirl.
    Glad to see you are doing well.
    You have a great eye for the little details in life, you seem to be looking to bring them out in your work, and that's beautiful.

This reel is done quite proffessionally, as well as these models, but you are still a step behind from showing true strength in your work. Like in gothgirl, you seem to be aiming at striking the viewer with a lot of detail on the costume and texture and you fall short on your anatomy.
    If you want to get up there you should get the structure down right first, get those muscles in place and tighten your proportions for the overlay detail to work. You must balance the "eye candy" detail with anatomy detail.

Its all good work, and it seems you are aspiring to go really far (blizzard?) with it. That's the way it is.. as modellers work in higher poly limit, there is less room for error. It's like sculpting.. Every thing has to be just right.. every muscle from point A to B, no mushy corners, good structure showing through. The huntress deffinately lacks all these, imo. Like I said, you alawys seem to be looking for the right things, but they end up being approximate or off. And tightenning that is what will take you to the next level.

Keep up the good work man, you're on the right way.
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    Snowfly/Ghostrider- thanks

rockstar- yeah i know what you mean. The hair was done using ornatrix beta and then, the controls were good but still limited. I bought the latest release and I assure you, no more bad hair days smile.gif You must working on some really exciting stuff, hope to see it soon.

Sa74n, Thegodzero- thanks guys. good to be back.

shotgun- you're right. I was on a deadline for this models, I could have refined them forever but knowing how fussy I can get, I just had to finish them and move on. I'll definitely make sure my anatomy is spot on for my future works. Thanks for the pointers, I have to be much more meticulous in future and I've been sculpting so that should help too.
    Yeah I would want to work for blizzard or blur. Its something that I've always aspire to do ever since I started 3d.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    I'll have to agree with mister rockstar on the huntress head, it really doesnt get up there with the rest of your stuff. Other than that, its really beautiful work! Lovely!
    (btw, as far as i know, we all had to re-register, cuz the old boards bit the dust.)
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    O_O holy-shit.

you ppl make me sick! wink.gif
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    kick ass work man, got me all kinds of ready to rip.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    good to see you here Dom smile.gif Awesome stuff as always!
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    That is some realy kick ass stuff. Im going to show it to my dga teacher at school... cant wait to see that undead guy textured.

Few questions, did you get all the concept from blizzed or just the undead guy? and about how long do you think it took you for the completed beserker, cuz that is one detialed sucker...

I love the ripples in that undead gus pants looks realy cool, maybe add some ripes and holes in it?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Nice work man. I really like the chain clasps on the beserker though as others have pointed out, theres a few too many grey areas on your anatomy and it looks like you really need to step up the detail level on genuine forms such as muscles and veins rather than using the noise value of the reptilian material relief on the skin to obscure this.

It's great solid work, but its wow factor isnt going to last as long as it might now that hi poly / normal maps are becoming so popular.
    I think we're all guilty of upping the wart factor to add to the depth of a design, but theres no better time than the present, as others have suggested, to get back to basics and make a much more completly study of the human form to use as a base for later models.

Again, still loving those belt clasps smile.gif
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    Slash- what happened to the forums then? There's something different about the current one, I don;t know, it looks cleaner. Either that or I've been in front of my computer for too long smile.gif

Slayerjerman/ Silva_Spoon- Thanks guys.

Daz- So this is where you've been hanging out huh? LOL. I finally got to see the german soldier, bloody cool I must say. Keep up the kickass work!

Rorsach- Yeah, the tools are getting easier and technology is advancing at such a rate that it's simplifying all the complex procedures once needed. I've been taking a break of my own 3d works to focus on my anatomy by sculpting and doing some life drawing. Thanks for the sound advice. smile.gif and btw, I love your work. You and kenneth scott have done some really inspiring work, a lot of which I often refer to. Holler out to Ced for me, I miss that guy wink.gif

IceWolve- The only concept from Blizzard is the undead warrior. The berserker and huntress were designed by me, lots of pencils before nailing a final design.I took about 4-5 weeks for the berserker, however it was my first time with zbrush and I spent some time learning it ( it didn't take long to learn the basics though, really intuitive program)Yeah the pants are very much wip, I plan to remodel them. Thanks for the crits.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Daz- So this is where you've been hanging out huh? LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, polycount is my first internet love yeah. Ive been hanging around for about 7 years! But lately, it's just been pre E3 crunching to all hell. Hence no posting. Anywhere. smile.gif Anyway, welcome ( back ) !
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Daz. I'll post some wips soon. Hope to see some of your stuff after E3! Cheers.