Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wonderor

WinglessXAngel
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
WinglessXAngel polycounter lvl 18
well im workin on a game, and im doing all the work. heres a character design im still working on

18xn.jpg

Replies

• WinglessXAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a small update

11db.jpg
  • WinglessXAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another update

15bb.jpg
  • WinglessXAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the finished product

24bb.jpg
  • KdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KdS polycounter lvl 18
    This is not bad concerning clothes there are cool effects

What annoys me is the difference between face and cloth, the styles are different, look like two different people did that.

- The brushes used in the clothes are too sharp I think, a sweet smudge pass wouldn't be a shame.
    - Do not forget that with the belt, the folds around the waist will have much more different different angles, here it looks like a belt layer has been overlayed upon your finished cloth unbelted.
    - Other than that, light-shade is looking pretty good to me, pros of the shades may find something more to tell you wink.gif

-Concerning the head, it looks too cartoony when you take a look on it beside the clothes that tend to be realistic.
    -You may work more on the eyes to make this guy human, a pupil (if he isn't blind, maybe he is, seems there is remains of a pupil when I zoom the pic) and light effects in the eye will make him live :P
    -He may for example look at the guy watching the picture, it is always disturbing for the watcher smile.gif
    - In the face, I'm not sure if these things are wrinckles but if they are, they still need work.
    - First of all, look at pics, wrinckles are never totally desaturated, skin lets pass red light and skin goes red in the folds (because of pressure)
    smudge them a little too to give the impression they're rounded
    - concerning mouth, the line upon the upperlip and the one under the lowerlip have to be less marked than the middle one here again, look at pics, it is easy to see and easier to correct smile.gif

Just post when you have fixed those (or some of those) points, I will be happy to see the improvement smile.gif
  • WinglessXAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for that crit. .. . i tried to change as much as i could with your notes heres my new final

24ic.jpg
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    quick paintover, came out kinda crappy, but I hope it helps

leeper.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice crit, Adam... poly141.gif

WinglessXAngel: I'd say you need to work on lighting - there's no obvious evident direction of a light source in this image. As a result, all the cloth folds are just looking messy and not very well thought out.

I think you seem to be lighting the folds of cloth under the chin wrongly - you've got highlights where there should be shadows, and shadows where there should be highlights. Take a look at some reference photos (or just throw some clothes over a chair or something!) and see how the light hits the folds - then try to replicate that when you're painting.

The paintover cholden did is a good idea of a direction to go - with this I'd lose the black lines around everything, and just focus on using big brush strokes of colour to define the masses and shapes of things, like cholden has demonstrated on the face. No lines, just blocks of colour.

You should also try painting shadows with colour, rather than just going to a darker shade of the midtone - that's not how light works. If this guy was standing outside, light would be bouncing off his environment and reflecting into the shadows of his clothing, giving them a blue-ish tint (if the sky was blue, that is).
    Using colours for shadows and highlights rather than just black and white always makes things look much more realistic - remember that pure black very rarely occurs in real life at all.

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

Take a look at that tutorial for lots of information that Prometheus decribes much better than I can. Read, digest, learn and put these ideas and techniques into practise - and be prepared to see huge increases in quality!

Go for it!

MoP