Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hawkprey Inspired Model

Stefanbeekman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Stefanbeekman polycounter lvl 18
Hey all thought I would get some good honest crits on the current model i'm working on. It's based on a concept that was done by Hawkprey. Trying to do his concept justice, it can be found at http://www.hawkprey.com/tweaky.htm. Done in Maya, right now she's at around 5000 polys i'm just filling everything in right now and then gonna optimizer her at the end. Any C & C would be greatly appreciated, trying to really work on poly flow and edge loops for the face.

tweaky1.jpg
tweaky2.jpg

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Good start. I modeled this back in the day. It was actually the thing that got me into game modeling from animation.
    I think you need to play with the rotation of the edge loops. They are way too rigid, and you are using way too many of them. Try rotating them to keep them perpendicular to the travel of the limb. I think overall the model is kind of high poly for the definition you have there.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, agreed with what poop said. I've outlined a couple of areas here where you can lose polys without affecting anything.

notlowpoly.jpg

Basically, since this is evidently a model intended for in-game use, you don't need to worry about keeping everything as quads - and you are also using polys to add detail into areas that don't really need it, or where a texture would be just as effective.

I like the way you've done the boots, they look really good, the face looks nice too. The edges especially around her belly are looking very "straight" and not natural - rigid like poopinmymouth said.

Overall turning out nicely, just optimise some areas and focus on having a "target polygon limit" that you want to meet.

MoP