Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Concept

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
Figured I'd finally get around to posting some personal art now and again. I kinda liked this one and all. Hope you dig.

ikon.jpg

Replies

• seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    omg!!! That is great! It reminds me of Aeon Flux artwork. Do you plan on modeling it? Seems it could be a tricky one to bring into 3d.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    If you don't model this, I will Nitzy. I'd love to make a quick 2200-2500 triangle model of this and release it as an SDK if you didn't mind.

This concept rocks my balls off, Killer job man!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, I really love that design. "Someone" really must model it.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Knock yourself out Poop, it's all fair game. I don't have the time or knowledge to do this guy polyganal justice.

Glad you folks like him.
  • WhatsItMattR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WhatsItMattR polycounter lvl 18
    Looks nice. Great style.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    nice work nick!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    it's nice and all, but as a concept it fails. it's from the side, so you'd need a front shot as well, but it's also in a weird pose, so you'd have to straighten the character out. a 3/4's shot, in a less exaggerated pose would work better as a concept. this is the kind of thing i'd give to an animator as a suggestion for how he should move
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Fuck dude, I am modeling this if u want. FUCK YA

b1ll
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Marine: I think you're talking about model sheets there, a concept isn't always a model sheet ... a good modeller would be able to work from that if they were handed it as "concept art" to make a model from.
    Nitzmoff only presented this as a "character concept" - an illustrated concept of a character. So I dunno where you're getting the idea that it needs to be from a certain angle from smile.gif

I like it, nice style (as always!) and he seems like a very cool character. Would make a good centrepiece for a stylised console game.

I kinda wish there was more contrast on it though, both in value and colour, at the moment it's a bit too difficult to entirely pick him out from the background.

MoP
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine: It's simply a concept of a character, i.e. I aimed for folks to get a visual and a vibe of a character I thought up, nothing too technical.

b1ll: Abolutely man, anyone is free to model my stuff.

MoP: Not until checking it out on my work monitor did I notice it could use a touch more contrast. Might get around to that tonight.

Thanks for the crits folks, it's always a pleasure.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    mop, i think you missed the point, it's from the side, we can't see any of the front design. how are you going to be able to create this character without taking plenty of liberty regarding how he appears from the front?
    this http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/marine/raul.jpg is what i'd call a concept, it get's the character across, you can see how he's built and you can see the costume design.
    nitzmoff's character on the other hand leaves questions. is the design asymmetrical? how many barrels does his gunhand have? is there any sort of detail on the chest? how wide is the character? how wide is the coat? do the pants flair out?
    as for the "certain angle", 3/4's would give you both front and side views, so you wouldn't have to create an orthographic. it doesn't have to be, but the more of the character you display, the more you can get across without having to explain.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I have to agree with marine here, it doesn't read much like a character concept. i think its an interesting drawing, messing with those extreme proportions.. that's all
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    it seems to me that not all character concepts have to be a rigid blueprint of the design.. Seems fine to leave some of the interpretation to the imagination of the modeler, might be more fun that way.

I mean if the concept artist has a cast iron view of how it should look then they'll draw it, otherwise its down to translating the feel of the concept.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Well, the gun seems to have five barrels (you can see two behind the three in the front and they seem to be evently spaced) but I agree with Marine on some points. The biggest problem to me would be that there's nothing that shows if the character is symmetrical or asymmetrical. The width thing, well, arms and legs could just have their semi-round look, the torso and head could be a bit of a problem though. I would have never, ever started modeling on this unless the artist said that I was free to interpret the concept as I choose (meaning mainly that I could do what I wanted with the front of the torso and the shape of the head) and that would invalidate it as a concept (atleast in my eyes).

Cool picture, and good luck to anyone making a model from it.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    This would be what we call a "look and feel" concept. It has everything there needed to be approved by an AD or producer. Then you can go in and make the rigid ortho views. While a more 3/4 view would probably show more, this is certianly enough to convey the sense of the character for someone to figure whether they liked where it was going or not.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    i love it. i'd model it in a seccond.

edit: after checking, i love everything on your whole damn site.... great stuff.
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    Cool painting! I get some Comboy-bebop/egyptian feel from it, as well as the Aeon Flux thing. Whatever the influences, I dig the pic :thumbsup:
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    cool stuff nick smile.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Great stuff nitzmoff, this does rock Poop's balls off. Can't wait for the SDK Poop!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I agree with Marine. Cool drawing, but as a "concept" doesn't work for me. You could just as easily have extended this look and flair into a more illustrative angle.
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    I must say, I highly disagree that you don not have the knowledge to give this character polygonal justice. Your work on your website is Beautiful! I mean really, its got such an emotive feel. I honestly didnt believe some of your 3D to even be 3D, it looked so much like 2D. Amazing painterly style on your textures! your work is great. Your website is officailly added onto my favorites! good job!
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks folks. For those of you that commented on my site, thank you as well, but most of the content is terribly out of date. Once I get enough 'new' stuff I'll put together another one with some slicker work. Had some really crazy ideas for environments in the last couple of days.

Hope to flesh those out in the coming weeks so stay tuned I suppose. grin.gif