Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cheapy's weaponry of quakiness

CheapAlert
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
I'm just remaking the Quake and Team Fortress weapons in my way and right handed because I want to!

Skins aren't too detailed as either i'm fast or i just suck.
Anyhow the budget i'm shooting for is 100-200 triangle with 256x256 texture, including the arm/hand. Format will be both MD3 and MDL, chosen depending on your engine flavor and compatibility. (i.e. FTE chooses md3 over mdl, while regular quake still uses mdl)

Sniper Rifle, OpenGL, 206 tri (original v_srifle is 608 tri, ouch!)
snipar2.jpg

Shotgun, software mode, 138 tri (original quake v_shot is 156 tri! HAH MINES BETTER)
shotgan2.jpg

Hopefully i'll release all this as some qw pack, or something, and under the GPL as well and maybe for the Free Game Arts project.

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    more brown! and then some! laugh.gifwink.gif

the rifle looks a bit too tube-like to me really, seems more like some kind of sealant dispenser atm and could use some more texture detail. The scope is so obviously angular maybe you should texture it as if its meant to be rather than circular.

I was kinda joking about the brown, but they could use some colour, and maybe a bit more contrast.

Props for working on a personal project, quake is great for a bit of nostalgia.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Please implement crosshairs then, off-center weapons + no crosshair = bad aim. I could aim in Quake because the gun lined up with my target.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    wow, i remember those textures, werent they from some other game? i think bam4's textures were all taken from quake2

good start, but your weapons need more colour, or at least higher contrast. the scope on the sniper rifle does look round, it looks kinda squashed, like you started with a 4 sided cylinder adn tried to make it octagonal by hand.

its a cool project, i remember some replacement mdl's for tf that change the backpacks to sweet looking belts adn stuff and always wanted to do something similar