Home General Discussion

Don't make any Long Term Plans...

Replies

• sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's great that fusion power is a potential and viable alternative to fossil and fission but there's a key detail in there: the test reactor project is for 35 years on a reactor costing billions of euros with a 500MW output.

One point of "The Long Emergency" is that most people don't even know about or aren't taking the oil crisis seriously. Even if we had 50 more years of oil (which we don't) that would put it just beyond what the test bed for large scale fusion is slated for.

Another big point is the cost of converting everyone from fossil to fusion energy. Fusion plants aren't free - you need massive amounts of energy and resources to build them. My take from this is that it will only be after it is too late to reallocate these resources to fusion plants that people will even begin to take notice that their quality of, and even number of their very lives have begun to dramatically decline.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    If we can get solar energy efficient enough to cool enough hydrogen to use as fuel, we can just use solar energy instead of hydrogen.

Frank the Avenger
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Frank: So you'd also propose to replace all batteries with nuclear powerplants? Hydrogen isn't an energy source, it's an energy storage.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think it’s important to understand that even though this article tries to make it sound like a crisis is around the corner that is simply not the case.

It was my understanding that with out current usage - which is extremely high - we would have another 50 years before things would have to change. I actually seem to recall it being 100 years (with current usage) before we physically ran out of the stuff, but regardless…

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of the article isn't about actually running out of oil, but about what economists call 'peak-oil' which is basicly speaking the point where the 'production' of oil reaches its all time top. It is a bit hard to explain, and I am not an expert on economics, but basicly this will (combined with the allways rising energy need, and the rising energy costs to get that 'leftover' oil, by drilling deeper and deeper) catapult the cost of oil up quite a bit, and it will only rise (quickly) from that point on.

So it isn't about depleting the oil (at least not in the short run) but about not beeing able to afford large quantities of oil.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Solution: Get the lazy, corrupt, oil loving, war provoking, arctic drilling, pretend christian texans out of government positions. Replace them with individuals that are pro-alternative fuels.

Smokeless coal. What a joke.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    I a fearful of our kids future, I have no kids but you guys do. I also want to buy a hybrid auto, but can't afford it.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    As demand increases the hybrid cars will become affordable. It's just that people don't care for their gas usage enough to want a hybrid car.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    just make sure to sell your car before it hits the peak.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    How much are gopeds? I can't seem to find a price on the company website.