Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Goat, Tiger, Dragon? ( finished )

calbar
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
calbar polycounter lvl 18
This is for a freelance jobber - <font color="red"> not my concept. </font>
I'm working from pre-existing concept that I don't have permission to spread yet, but I've maintained its integrity.

Anyway, I'm looking for feedback on the mesh, and anything *major* that needs to be altered - I don't want to stray from thier vision too much. 1700 polies with a 2000 limit, so there's room to play - thanks for any suggestions.

hanukaro_mesh.jpg

Replies

• GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    the modeling is great the proportions on the otherhand need some work... mainly the comparison between the arms, legs and chest... something is off. looking ace tho as i said!

Jody
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    lookin good, I'd have to agree with GoK. Also methinks since he is somewhat humanoid, perhaps he should have opposable thumbs??
  • calbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I'm working from someone else's concept, so I can only alter so much. In fact, I had to thicken and shorten some areas to make him look this feasible - I guess they wanted a really buff upper body :\. Anyway, they want articulated fingers, so I'll add them and start the texture. I'll post an update when it's gotten further - thanks for the feedback, more is welcome smile.gif.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    its a Liger. Breed for its skills in magic...pretty much my favorite animal
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    cool, that makes a bit more sense, the proportions wouldnt have to be quite so "proper" if all he does is cast spells and stuff... wouldnt have to quite so energetic.

Jody
  • calbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, ok Napoleon :P.

Ah, just a note, I replaced the original image with the updated mesh with articulated fingers (accident). Anyway, the pic in the first post is the updated mesh now.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    You really need to bring his ribcage and entire upper body forward. Doesn't matter how buff he is, it looks like he is doing the tango and leaning all the way back. You might also want to buff up his latissimus dorsi to make up for those massive arms.
  • calbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, in response to poop, I made a few subtle changes to the mesh - thanks for the suggestions. That was awhile ago though (sorry for not responding sooner) and he's since been textured up.

Again, the concept is not my own, so I can only alter so much. As it stands, I've matched the concept to a T, and any extra decorations or designs would have to be ok'd by them. I'm really just looking for feedback on what I *do* have.

The stage I'm at is to make any major changes before dealing with seams, so ignore any that you see. Maya also seems to have some alpha sorting issues - the fur by the hooves on the left image should look like that on the right.

(1) 512x512 Color Map, (1)128x256 Map for Alpha
    hanukaro_texture.jpg

Thanks for any feedback smile.gif.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    woha.. the textures are great!
    but i think the shoulders are to far outside
    beside of this the model looks very cool too smile.gif !
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Unique calbar, I like it! The folds in the upper back clothing (hood?) look great, and overall this texture makes strong enhancements to the model.
    a few quick crits:
    He has no chest (pecs), based on those huge arms/shoulders, I'd imagine a much beefier look here. Maybe thicked up the base of the neck so that it blends into this massive upper body transition. I'd like to see the arms textured in full tiger stripes/fur. The human flesh seems a bit out of place, and I can only imagine how badass those arms would look with thick tiger strips and blazing orange fur. Belt is a little dark.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    awesome texture man, altough the concept is kinda shite (IMO)
  • calbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahh! Thanks for the crits guys, but its not my concept!

I agree that the concept is uninspired and the proportions are crazy, but it's what they want :\. They provided the design and turnarounds, I'm just realizing thier vision, good or bad. Hell, as far as shape goes, the concept shows his upper body skinnier, his back farther arched, and the arms more seperated. I had the most say in the texture work, as the concept was just penciled, so I'm most happy if you approve of those smile.gif.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I still appreciate any crits provided, I just can't do anything about the ones that challenge thier design goals. I'm considering making my own character like this where I can take it in a better design direction, but personal characters don't buy me food :P - we'll see if time allows. Thanks for the compliments and crits smile.gif.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    He still looks like he's about to fall on his arse, but given the odd proportions, there might be a limited amount you can do about that.

You've done a damn nice job with the texture. The only issue that stnds out as far as I can see is the fard black line around the hoof where the second layer of hair peters out before the first starts. You might want to either tweak the alpha or shift the planes down an tad.
  • calbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man smile.gif - I made mention of that line in the texture update post:

"Maya also seems to have some alpha sorting issues - the fur by the hooves on the left image should look like that on the right."

They flicker back and forth based on viewing angle in Maya, and that front angle seems to be a bad one - go figure tongue.gif.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Ah sorry, I must have just scanned through that one. I'm well familiar with Maya's dubious alpha sorting. Making game art, particularly the sort of stuff we're doing with the hand-helds where half the levels are alpha mapped planes, is a rather testing experience.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Calvin, just assign a new shader for each face that has an alpha. That should fix the flickering in the Maya view. Texture looks pretty good. I'd say the folds in the clothing could use some more highlights. Skin looks good. He must really work out a lot. Should try making the whole arms tiger arms. The human ones just seem like he's been mated with a bit too many creatures.
  • calbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, I can imagine Jackablade - just this little experience had me annoyed. And Jeffro - it's been a while! Thanks for the suggestion, but assigning different shaders didn't seem to work for me :\. I searched around a little bit and it seems the sorting is done by bounding box, so I extracted each face apart at the trouble spots and that seemed to help Maya determine the order for most cases.

Anyway, I ok'd it with the project leader at the end of last week, so it's done. Thanks for the compliments and crits, and again, I had no say in the concept or design. I actually got permission to show the concept (below), so you can see what I had to work from. In addition, certain things were explicitly requested, like human upper arms, so I had to go with them.

Here's the money shot below; wireframes, closeups, texture flats, and so on are all on my website if you care to see them.

hanukaro_concept.jpg

hanukaro_shaded.jpg

Thanks again!