Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

warlock

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
Starting the concept phase for my next model the warlock. This time i'm going to go threw the whole process here so all the kinks can be worked out before i get to texturing this time.

First quick scetch to see where i want to take him.
warlock.jpg

The scull face thing i'm not sure about if anything it would be skul mask. I'm open to any ideas, such as "skull caps are soo 1980's" and paint overs up the ass. I got to get good at solidifing concepts sometime.

Replies

• shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Now is your chance.
    But do try it first with your own mind, the kinks would be helpful later. At this point I think you should keep developping it further by yourself before pimping it blank.
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i would concept the clothing underneath the large cloak first before drawing him with the cloak.

what's his story? how does he cast his spells? what type of spells does he cast? (necromancer? general wizard? ect...) how does he cast his spells? does he use a wand or does he make arcane gestures with his hands and arms?
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    What's his AC? CR? DC?
    How about horns on the mask?
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Shotgun, thats my plan, but i figure i can show all of it here so each one can be anilised for its good points and bad so i can put them all together to make something none teh suck.

Ash, good idea. no idea as to the spells, but he has a staff. As for the rest i can make up a back story if you want?

Weiser, ac, cr, dc? huh? Yes, horns i'll try.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Very quick color over of the concept:
    warlockcolor.jpg

I'm thinking way too much skeletor going on in this concept. I guess that means no more skull caps on any of the other concepts.

New crapy concepts.
    warlock2.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    If you are going to sketch that small, focus more on silhouette. If you are sure of the silhouette, do larger drawings to refine the details. Right now you are drawing too small to do details, and you really aren't changing the silhouette at all. Play with more masses.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    here is one more, kind of a combo of the first and the top left corner one.
    warlock3.jpg
    I did that one before i read what you said ben. I think your rite i shouldnt have been doing them small when i already knew what basic form i wanted.

I'm really digging my first concept more now that i have done the others... I think i'll do a bigger more detailed version of him. I like his slenderness.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    yehh thats a good site. Drawings are looking nice to... try out some different methods tho like conte, drawing in block pencil then taking a rubber too it, working from a photo or get yourself some guash and paint it... looking forward to an awsome consept wink.gif and have fun man!

Jody
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick concept. I'll need to explain i few things.
    GZ_Warlock.jpg
    his nose pokes through the front of the mask(tip of his nose is painted black). The cape/sash is supposed to be symetrical but I forgot to draw it. The skulls on the cape are partially flesh covered. The trim should be spiked all the way down(forgot again). Use/discard whatever you like.
  • PeteJ
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteJ polycounter lvl 18
    its looking better but i agree with poop you shoulsd probably play with the silhouette.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Nerf Warlocks

/obscure
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feed back guys. weiser, Interesting design ideas, I’ll try to bring some of them in to my design.

I wasn’t planning on doing any work on this guy until later, but i couldn’t sleep until i sketched out a few ideas.
    warlock4.jpg
    Came up with a back story to go with the warlocks too.
    In order to become a warlock you must be a great wizard. Then you must hunt down a demon and remove its arm while it’s alive. Then replace your arm with that of the demons so that its blood can mix with yours. The result turns them into half demons with the powers of both sides.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    warlock5.jpg
    Ignore the funky proportion of the lower half, and the super sized hood. Id be keeping with the proportions of the first skecth. The head is on the side, i didnt feel like redrawing it. I'm still not sure about the "pop" factor.
    Its late at night so i might not like it when i wake up tomorrow. As always feel free to rip it a new one.

Edit:
    Ok after a scecond look i call this concept too ugly for even a chance at getting used. I'm going to call this thred dead and come back to this in a few weeks. Hopefuly by then i can think up some good designs. Maybe i'll try and get a tablet see if that helps me any.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    Good luck next time
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i took some time off this guy, but liked the first concept too much so here is my WIP based off that first concept.
    warlockren1.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Yeah the first concept was easily the best, model is looking good too man.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty cool, I recommend you definitely throw more polys into the ass, that'd deform pretty badly with how few edge loops it has now.
    Also something about the arms in the front view is bugging me, the way the cloth robes are being deformed indicates they follow a shape which isn't really anatomically correct, and make his shoulders seem really too broad.
    The side view is also very linear, lacks a dynamic element. Some rotation of the torso (pelvis forward, shoulders back) would help that - also maybe if you bend the arms a little.

A good texture will make this look really cool, especially with nice opacity map stuff.

Keep it up, can't wait to see how it turns out!

MoP
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    quickies from the top down:
    hood thicker from front
    shoulder pads brought up, possibly bigger
    thicker garments from the waist down, from the side. (currently looks weak, like a dress)
    thicker feet from the front
    and those back spikes would be more effective thicker and exaggerated.
    Cool model! Be careful you don't end up with generic zombie warrior in robes, but I think you have nothing to worry about.
  • pogonip
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Ha ! 850 that looks great !

*edit * dohhh 1850....well still looks pretty good.. wink.gif
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    nice model.. but is it just me, or am i getting a deja-vu?
  • Lore
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Good proportions on the model looking from the front. The silhouette stands out but the bottom looks a little uninteresting but the texture with all the tarring, dirty and grime will make it work. I like the pointy fingers very ‘evil’ looking. But your side view like MOP said is an issue.

The concept does speak warlock. I wonder if you ever entertained the idea of the use of chains on him. Like chains that look like they used to bind him down. Like he is dragging the weight of his crimes kinda like Jacob Marley is portrayed in A Christmas Coral (Ebenezer Scrooge story)

IMHO (as if it matters) is that if you wish to continue your theme you’re running with the Dark Knight and Dark Archer. The Warlock is looking too perfectly symmetrical. The priest sash comes down to the same length. Like MOP said the tarter Opacity will help but I think you need to push it on the model itself. You have later introduced weapons and accessory’s after the main model is done. Maybe give your Warlock a waist bag when you design your staff for him. But I'm getting ahead of myself. What type of weapon do you plan to give him, dagger, staff, wand, panda's? Those are evil right TGZ? crazy.gif

I also hope you intend to texture in a sash around his waist as the clock is cut quite close there. Maybe add in some plane geometry for the ends of the waist sash. Speaking of texture I have a suggestion, maybe give him some evil looking glyphs on his face that have been carved out of the skull.

I think there might be some odd deformation in the forearm part of the sleeve when he is animated to move his arms. Maybe add in another loop if you have polygons after you round off his ass, as it’s looking very pointy. Hmm Pointy ass smile.gif Is that possible? Some girls have flat ass’s, and bubble butts, pointy bottom....

I’m just blowing this out my…
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    It's back... Looks cool.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    warlockren3.jpg

now at 2170

Mop, i would do a more dynamic pose but it would mean more tweeking to get it to the T pose that it has to be in for the game. I completely agree with the pose sucking, and when it comes finish time i will put him into a more dynamic pose.

Cholden, I think i did most all of your ideas, i cant think of a better way to make the bottom thicker from the side with out making him look like a fat ass.

Lore, no chains, but random little things yes. He uses a big staff, that i'm just about to make.
  • `kungfubilly
    Offline / Send Message
    `kungfubilly polycounter lvl 18
    That back piece with the skull's sweet! The other bits of asymmetry's pretty cool too...the book's a cool idea, maybe you could make it look a bit more worn/ratty (like necronomicon from army of darkness or something), have some pages sticking out or something...can't wait to see some texture!
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    kungfubilly, good idea...and easy too
  • Lore
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    grin.gif I really like what you done with the back element, very dynamic and impressionably unique. I like where you taking this.

I would like to see the sketches of possible staffs for this guy?
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    warlockren4.jpg

Going to update the pose and call the model done.
  • Enix
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Looks very flat from the side, mainly the buttom half of the robe. The rest is peachy, get this thing skinned laugh.gif.
  • Mr Ray
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Ray polycounter lvl 18
    I would love to see that model on a dragon or summit like the one in the above sketch.
  • Lore
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Its looking cool. I realy dig the Headpiece to the staff. grin.gif
  • Mit Gas
    Offline / Send Message
    Mit Gas polycounter lvl 18
    amazingly cool! two thumbs up.
  • Irritant
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice. I love all the spikes sticking in stuff.

I assume you'll be making that robe nice and tattered with some alpha...if not, you really should!
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Mit Gas, you saying that just made my day! Wana texture it and tag team the CGchat comp?
  • Mit Gas
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd instantly do it if I didn't have to work on our THousand Sons mod. frown.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    I was pretty sure you were going to say no as soon as i posted that. So after i posted it i went over and looked at your mods fourms. its loking great, but are you making all the textures for your mod?
  • Mit Gas
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD is currently texturing the buildings but I'm probably going to skin all the units, yes. KMan is probably going to skin a guy or two as well but he's pretty busy.

That said, we could need another modeler for a similiar unit as the one you did, only less cool and more pathetic (basically the builder unit). You know, aspiring human wizards called thralls with Mr.Burns' body and so on.

So if you should have time and are interested I'd love to have you onboard - but I understand if you don't want to or have no time. smile.gif

Anyways, once again, cool model.
  • MrD
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD polycounter lvl 18
    Aye, awesome model. It´s a bit rigid from the side but that´s just so I can offer any form of critique. Great design , nice execution.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, i think when i'm done with this guy i might take you up on that offer.

finaly took the time to unwrap him.

Little Update:
    warlockren5.jpg
    Just basicly laying down the colors.
  • MrD
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD polycounter lvl 18
    coolness- I do see some glowing runes somewhere, do I? smile.gif

Like this one a lot. It´s almost as if Skeletor got new clothes smile.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Little Update:
    warlockren6.jpg
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    More contrast! The texture is looks pretty muddy there at the moment ... throw some more colour and saturation in too.
    The face and skull mask need more specular highlights, and the skull-teeth especially need more contrast and definition.
    I'd also give the neck and face some more "hard edge" shading, the neck especially looks bad with smooth brown shadows like that.

Pretty good start though, get a move on, the deadline is approaching fast! I know I'll never finish mine in time... smile.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Little Update:
    warlockren7.jpg

Mop i'll try to get to those if i have time before the deadline, i promis.
  • Mit Gas
    Offline / Send Message
    looks already like a very nice start - You know, I could imagine that purple instead of the middle grey clothes might work to get the ultimate Skeletor effect.

shoulders remind me of this joust guy:

nolights.jpgsmile.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i needed some creative insperation.... as for the Skeletor coment, i'm trying to stay away from that as much as i can...
  • Mit Gas
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I thought you were aiming for a little skeletor homage - but then again you're right; it's *edit: better to* create your very own character instead of making a dude that somehow looks like skeletor.

Anyways, it's looking very cool and I'm looking forward to the next update.

What i really love is the skull on the stick, looks great.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Little Update:
    warlockren8.jpg

Thanks Mit!
  • JKim3
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, it's coming along. Looks nice.

Are those red,rusty bits supposed to be torn cloth? Cause right now, they look like dust. The edges don't have an actual edge, they just dither off in blurry dots.