Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jason and the Argonauts WIP

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kunglao polycounter lvl 18
Here is very much a wip,a lot of work has to be done with the texturing ,just getting the basics down at mo'.Going to add much more detail on every aspect including bump and opacity(especially for hair/beard).
I want to add specular map to him so i can get a shine to his armour,i have never attempted specular mapping before,i have searched web and best i have found is a tut for a leaf,Please if anyone can explain simply or offer some links i would dearly appreciate it,also want to add a slight sweat to skin .As always c+c welcome

URL=http://img246.echo.cx/my.php?image=jasonwip8fc.jpg]jasonwip8fc.th.jpg[/URL]

Replies

• Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey man

This is a good start,but could go much further,though unfortunatily I also am pretty inexspreineced with spec maps and so forth,but here we go anyway:-

*The chest looks to flat to cater for the chest plate armour. from this view anyway
    * add more depth to the straps around his legs,they look like they have been pasted flat on.
    * get down some scratchs on that perfectly new sheild smile.gif
    * from what I can make of the face,the eyes look too green and though the colours are nice there doesn't seem to be enough depth round the eye sockets?
    *It needs much more highlighting in places (over alot of the gold and metal surfaces) but I presuem your gonna use spec map for taht hehe .

Hope this helps,also try posting front and side view and a wireframe,make sit much much easyier to crit smile.gif.

john
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bronco,thanks for your c+c,there's no need for a wire as that was posted on here a while back,the chest is fine i appreciate it does not show on render but it does stick out plenty,as for the other comments on texturing(bands,scratches etc) they are all coming,as i said there is a long way to go, i reckon i am about 30% done on the texturing will post again for more feedback,thanks.
    Ps- someone from maxforums has given me a brief insight into specular mapping which i will add to the texture
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey again...

No probs,btw any chance you could forward me that info or post it up or soemthing? im kinda curious myself lol smile.gif

john
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bronco,this is what was posted-
    Spec mapping is basiically starting off with your texture map and converting it to black and white. then u gotta draw on it using only greyscale. Black will equal no shine. White equals max shine. and all that in bettween. so take ur sheild for example. i wud have the ship stay black, but all the yellow i wud color almost white but just enuf grey. that way the ship wud not reflect but the yellow around wud,

he said he is gonna put up a little tut, you'll get it as soon as i do
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bronco- as promised-
    specmapping1yc.th.jpg
    so heres the deal, the map to the left is the texture map for a rectangle, it has a different color for each face and has a letter A. now to the harder part. the image to the right is a specular map for the same rectangle. U basically draw a a greyscale picture on the texture file and name it rectangle-spec or somethign. U apply a spec map using the spec channel underneath the diffuse one. Max interprets spec maps as white=shiny, black = non shiny, so the whiter u get, the shineir it will be. In my example, because my letter A's are full white, these will have max reflections/gloss/shine. the area around them is grey-ish, so these will reflect a little bit, but near the edges are black, these will have no shine as all.