Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dark Archerer

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
I figured i had shown it one too many times in the WIP post so made it its own.

Here are the very ugly, and very fast concepts.
http://www.tgz3d.com/chick2.jpg

Here are the WIP's
http://www.tgz3d.com/DA-ren1.jpg
http://www.tgz3d.com/DA-ren2.jpg
http://www.tgz3d.com/DA-ren3.jpg
http://www.tgz3d.com/DA-ren4.jpg

Current state:
DA-ren5.jpg

Still needs lots of love in the design area. If you guys have any ideas for designs on the armor feel free to let me know threw paint overs and what not. Anything you can think of to make her really pop.

Oh yeah here is her back side.
ass.jpg

Replies

• steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    linus9ug.gif
    but seriously, i think the neck looks a bit wierd, double check those lines and use some references. I'm sure you can come up with some nice designs for the armor, just start doodling with a light 1 pixel airbrush of a near black and use some light white and a fatter brush on a new layer to make it highlighted. Maybe look into some lord of the rings stuff for inspiration.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    mm peachy arse.. nice. I agree with steady on the armour, my small suggestion would be adding some catch or mechanism so it looks like she can remove it.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I believe I brought up the same point on your Evil Knight model and texture, but gold isn't that colour! I can only assume it's meant to be gold trimming on the armour, but it currently looks like no metal I've ever seen.

Overall she's really... brown at the moment. Inject some more colour into that flesh! Give her dark purple pants or something! Anything but more brown! At the moment, it's not designs you want to make this "pop", it's colour.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Don't shade the crevices! It makes it look like she rolled around in mud. Identify only the planes facing away from the light source, and darken those. If you do darken every crevace (like in final fantasy games) then do it very subtley and with a much pinker color than you are using. Right now it just doesn't look convincing.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    For what it is, you did a pretty good job.
    As you suggested though, I think the design is dead.. that's why you were/are having problems designing her costue.

This is an overkill.
    If you (or anyone else) find this offensive I'll remove it, and I apologize.
    da-ren5ed.jpg
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Things I forgot to say before are that she and the other knight I built fight together. So their armor needs to have the same feel to its design. I need to work in the team logo somewhere, just not sure where. All the design elements should be very strong and sharp.

This guy:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php...=true#Post27183

Steady, thanks I’ll try that.

Rooster, I did that with everything but the hip piece. I’m thinking on wrapping her bracers with cloth like that’s what is holding them on.

Mop, being as this chick is going to be side by side with the other knight, I didn’t want their “gold” to look different. Which makes the gold look like shit, I agree. The skin I can put more color into again. I don’t think purple is a good idea for a medieval battlefield, but I do agree that she needs some more color. Maybe I’ll give her a little red cape.

Poop, but she has been in the mud… anyway, yeah so tone down the darkness on the folds and crevices?

Shotgun, Interesting ideas, but I have to keep her mostly undressed. I wanted to put her in chain mail but was told that we needed some skin. I like your helm idea, but I can’t go back and add that much to the mesh. I do like your cape idea; I might use that to give her some red.

What I was really hoping for is ideas on design details for the texture. Maybe something to pull in the logo in a few places.
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    have her left arm draped into something red with the logo on it.
  • Cthogua
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    Whenever I try to come up with little scroll details or designs/logos that are going to decorate something, I like to look at art history books, or collections of various design elements from other cultures. Dover publishes a bunch of super cheap books that are just collections of things like Art Nouveau bookplate designs or Viking Metalwork designs or aztec and mayan stonework and writing. They're great to have a round if for no other reason than just to inspire. I even found one that was illustrations of demons and witches from early medieval bibles and rennaissance literature. Don't let the fact that they're clip art books, and usually in the crafty section of the bookstore scare you away, they're a valuable resource.

peas
    James Ball
  • Moz
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    If she has been in the mud, still doesn't mean you can't also have directional shadowing.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Seriously, it's really easy to make that gold trim (and the knight's!) look much more effective.

Even if the trim is painted on the same layer as the armour, or even if the whole image has been flattened ...

: Go to Image -> Adjust -> Hue/Saturation/Lightness
    : Select "Yellows" from the drop-down list.
    : Set Saturation slider to -10, Lightness slider to +40.
    : Fiddle around with other values if necessary - I found those two numbers produced an improvement in the realism of the trim, but maybe you can come up with something better.

It's really not much effort, and I honestly think it's worth the fix.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    nice fix mop! I had totaly forgoten about that option...
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Oh. Guess I bothered for nothing.

Well, you see, thats pretty much what I was talking about in my rent thread a while ago. You seem to be interested in the small details and the techniqual aspect of things, rather than the design and cahracter of it as a whole.

If you followed a strong design that works well, relying on the big things, not the small : interesting shapes, high contrast of value and color, you wouldnt need to paint the little details. You could, it would add realism and all, but it wouldnt be nescesary for the design to work.

So, you should have probably stated on the first place you have to follow the same design for another model, before you ask for designs for this model. yes, even if it was just for small armor detail. And if you do think the design for the first model is limited/limiting you, why bother making another?
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Shotgun has a very good point. I'm sure you could to a much better, more cohesive design that could apply to both models, using everything you've learned so far from texturing them...

Then again, if time is an issue, I guess you'll just have to go with this.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun, you didnt bother for nothing, i just didnt realise that her design was as bad as it seems it is. At this point its too late for modeling changes with out scrapping the texture. It seems i should have asked for help sooner.

I want to note this happened last time too. I worked and reworked the model and then when i was 50% done with the texture i was given model chage ideas.

So as i only have a few more days to finish this, i'll call this ugly design done and next one have a design by comity.

Edit:
    this work to tie the red in and the logo? Or too out of place?

DA-chest.jpg

I figure sense the other armor is put on for life, hence the no seams. That they would be in to pain and things of that sort. So slicing your self open to form the logo would show your loyalty.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    What i'm calling done so i can get my finals done and move on. Next guy i'll start in its own thred so the concept can be as good as it can be.

DA-ren7.jpg

Texture:
    Darcherertex.jpg

and a model rotation:
    http://www.tgz3d.com/arch.avi
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i preferred it without the scar, it seems a bit... tacky.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    something about this wants to convince me it's a woman. i can't quite put both hands on it.
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe - well I like the scar, different strokes I guess. Im also likeing the folds on the trousers in side view - but I definately agree that you could have gone firther with the design aspects.

For your next model you should come up with a variety of variations on the same concept, then mix and match the best parts form each to create a really strong character design. Also, I find it helps to do a quick sketch to get what I am thinking down, then let that simmer away in the back of my mind for a couple of days or weeks. I find myself adding notes and cool ideas to the character sketch at the weirdest times!
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine, it was the only thing i could think of to get that logo on to her and not have to rework her armor(thus trashing the texture)

Elysium, thats because she is inside your moniter.

Fat cap, Yeah, but i didnt realise how bad she was untill i got too far done and was running out of time. As for the next model, i plan on it, well not for weeks, more like a week or so.