Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

character model: elder guardian

MAUL0r
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
this concept was created by a classmate and partner of mine in my internship. Our assignment is to make a fully functional game that is 1 level long, roughly 10-15mins of gameplay. This is our main character, an older forrest native who is fated to guard a sacred relic...
Concept:
character_concept.jpg
Renders So Far:
EDIT: crappy renders removed. UPDATED IMAGES BELOW.

I've only been working on this for about 4 hours total and he sits at 2400 polys roughly. I still need to optomize him, turn edges, add his loin cloth, give the legs some anatomy, and finish his hands. then its texture time!

C&C is always welcome.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, those are some weird angles to render from. Makes it hard to crit when we can only see a rather extreme side angle.
    Also, don't render on a black background, particularly with default lighting - the shading tends to shade to black at the edges, meaning you lose the silhouette. Use a dark or light grey as a background colour if you just wanna show off a model without any fancy lighting or rendering techniques.

The face looks pretty good, plenty of character. Can't really tell about the mesh though, because you haven't posted any wireframe or flatshaded shots (viewport screengrabs are fine for that!)
    Looks like maybe his nose is a pretty weird shape, and you could use geometry more efficiently around the brow area. But in general the face looks good.

The body... ah. Those shoulders are ridiculously low.

His feet also look far too long.

Looks like you're going for a mainly realistic feel. In this case, you should go look up some human anatomy reference, get the muscles in the right place and the proportions sort out. Then you can tweak the proportions to exaggerate bits afterwards ... don't just go off what you think is right, until you really know human anatomy inside out and back to front.

Looks like it should be good when you do a little more work on the proportions, and post some more relevent render angles.

MoP
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    dammit, i thought this was going to be a WH40K model...
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goodrender1.jpg
    goodrender2.jpg
    thanks MoP, I guess you're right about the renders... so i did some better ones! also i did some more work on him...
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    who needs a hug?!
    goodrender3.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, that's looking a lot better. A spotlight is usually better than a skylight on it's own, though, since you get highlights on the materials that way...

Ankles look too thick in the front view... the rest looks good to me!
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmmm...looks like he doesn't have any shoulders at all. Goes from torso to arms. also, if you were to draw a skeleton over that, you'd find that the arms still start way too low.

another thing is the elbows. as they are now, they look like hinges that seperate the upper arm from the forearms. elbows are a hinge, but the muscules over them flow from the upper to the forearms. the arm should look nice and continuous, not seperated like that. just check out your own arms.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finalrender1.jpg
    updated.. this is the final model being handed off for rigging while i work on his textures.