Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Head - bored - Kim Bauer

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
vahl polycounter lvl 18
was a bit bored this afternoon so I decided to start skinning one of my head models

the base used is elisha cuthbert/kimberley bauer (24-series2)

there we go, polycount is a bit under 3k

pers shot
headwip4_mesh.jpg

front shot
headwip4_mesh_front.jpg

and the flats, one 256² and one 256*128
headwip4.jpg

the whole skin was done in about 3h30/4h, but played pariah a few times so mebbe a bit less tongue.gif

here are a few references to check likeness :
ref.jpg

http://wip.global-illusions.com/kimberley/24se211_jpg.jpg

Replies

• Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool as always Vahl.

Im not a fan of the hair though and the way it fades to black at the bottom,far to exstreme IMO.

Also I think you could add more contrast to the hair texture so it brings it out much more,it just doesn't look sharp enough on the model.

I like the face skin though,maybe add abit more red over her cheeks?

Also elisha cuthbert is FIT!!!!...had to be said.

john

Edit:- I see it now,the bottom of the hair is suppsoe to be alpha mapped yeah?
    but either way make it fade to a more orange shade like in the ref pic.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    It looks good Vahl, but its hard to tell If the geo truly represents her when the textures are 100% self illuminated. Were not really seeing any of the structure of the model like that.

I think you need to pay the eyes more attention. They need cleaning up ( Im talking about the area surrounding the eyehole more than the eye itself ) and you have more eyewhite area visible on the outer sides of the iris than the inner.
    Im also wondering If a 3k poly head and a 256x face map are a little out of synch? Seems like the map should be bigger with that kind of polycount?
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    i wouldnt mind seeing some wires nontextured shtos vahl,

i like the texture tho but agree with daz that i might be not in balance with geometric detail...
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    HOT LIPS
    all units to station
    we have hot lips alret
    you painted the lips even nicer than on the picture. But behold the upper lip, oh so lonley and solumn up in the hights of her... upperness-over-the-lower-lip-ness, yes that upper lip lacks definition in her bottom line (the inner ouline). its a little more "cushy"

oh and, is that pure black darkening the hair at the bottom?
    tsk tsk tsk
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like a nice head, but sadly not like Elisha Cuthbert at all frown.gif (she is really hot in "the girl next door" btw tongue.gif ).
    All I can suggest is to get more reference pictures and rework the face geometry.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen just the model and i think the likeness is very good, i think people really underestime just how hard it is to even get a passing likeness on something like this. Something looks off about it but i think its just because the front on shot has no perspective? dunno... The jaw line looks like it tapers in too far but that could just be the hair messing with me.. I would soften up the bags under her eyes a little bit. The nose seems to thing and not pronouced enough compared to the ref, but again this could be lack or perspective or even done on purpose. Also if you're gonna use 3k for the face its just silly to have hair that low poly. I think it looks great for a 256 and there isnt REALLY a need for any more detail, unless you want to start painting in skin pores which i've never been able to make look good on a female model(most likely thats just me tho) and you could have doubled the res on the hair and probally gotten better results but it looks good as it is. Hmmmm thats about all i can point out now.

Reminds me a bit of some of souls "bored" posts with the higher poly faces.

one last thing, it looks like part of the messyness on the eyes could be due to uving them closed which generally makes for good blinking animations but makes it very hard to get good results painting them to be how you see them most(open)
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the replies guys

Bronco : thanks, I just tweaked the head a little so she does look fitter now smile.gif

Daz : cleaned the eyelids a lot, hope that was what you meant, as for the 3k/256 well thing is that I did this face like a month ago and this afternoon, was sooo bored that I decided to skin it, though a 256 would go faster so that's what I did, but I agree, if that wasn't an exercise, I would have done a 512 for that resolution

qube : thanks smile.gif see below for the wireframe smile.gif

Shotgun : the upper lip was a little too flat indeed, tried to round it a little. for the black hehehe that damn transparency didn't want to work today, dunno why...

jkmakowka : I reworked a lot the shape of the eyes and eyeborws, I think I'm getting closer, also thinking the hair is a bit shitty..may redo it

EQ : thanks smile.gif, heres the tweaked mesh in pers view instead of front view.

kimWIP04.jpg

kim_wip05_skin.jpg

kim_wip05_wire.jpg

kim_wip05_skinfront.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The front view looks right, but the perspective view looks off. Elisha Cuthbert has a very small chin, I think the one you have modelled is too large and prominent. Her forehead also seems to bulge a lot, it's definitely too "high", and the jaw/cheek outline shape in the perspective views seems to be incorrect.
    In fact you can see in the reference image you posted here that her forehead is nowhere near as "high" as you have modelled it.

It's a nice model and skin, but it doesn't look enough like her yet. It's mainly geometric tweaks that need doing, but I'd also try and make the eye texture look like it's more consistent with the way you've painted the flesh.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i think she's lovely, vahl. you did a better likeness on that doom 3 high poly head, but why get hung up on the likeness? it was a good starting point, why not develop this into her own character. lovely work at any rate smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss: im about 90% this is based on the same model, just low poly and he finished the hair and stuff.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the hair really destroys it. The face looks very realistic but the hair doesn't show any real structure and has very obvious seams. The area where it meets the face needs a much better transition as well. Try not to split the strands, keep them continuous as long as possible.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Really, really nice looking work! I like the shot of Kimberley Bauer so much, I think you could make the model's eyebrows a little more solid in shape, like hers. Give her more eyelashes, too. The lines below the eyes need to be pushed back a bit, it's making her look hung-over. I know the reference shot shows those, but they're not as dark as on your skin. Hit those with a skin-toned airbrush and make them less pronounced.

It looks like either your viewport perspective is off on the frontal shots, as others have suggested, or it's just that her head looks too big. It may be that the way you have the hair constructed, it creates the illusion that the top of her head is too big. Maybe the hair mesh is positioned too high on the head.

Coolness!

/jzero
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Gauss, sorry, have to admit, EQ is right...this is the same model, just took the cage and refined it a little, added hair and textured it.

KDR : next step for me is to redo the hair with more definition aswell as the hairline

jzero : yah that's what I was doing smile.gif here's the update, (still with lowdef hair, though the texture resolution is now a bit higher)

kimberleywip06.jpg
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    updated, did a lot of tweaks both on the model and texture, mainly :

model :
    flattened the lower eyelid
    shrinked the eyes a little
    moved the eyebrows up a little and rounded them a little
    modified the shape of the lips
    modified the chin
    lowered the hair

texture :
    defined the cheek muscles a bit more
    warmed up the whole tones a bit
    added more oranges to the hair, added more highlights and shadows
    added flesh at the begining of the hair, on the top of the head
    brightened the area around the eyes
    softened it aswell
    added more red to the cheeks

and some other things I can't remember tongue.gif

shotty

kim11.jpg
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I love it, but you need to lower the hair line some more and move it to the side, she doesnt have a center part. Her nose is also wider than you have it.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Definately a vast improvement dude- I think that the definition around the cheeks has given her more shape and as I said on msn, her right (our left) eye is a lot closer now to what it needs to be laugh.gif

I don't think it's a million miles off now, just needs the odd proportion tweak and maybe adding more tension around the upper eyelids in the texture.

It might also be worth adding a hint of a shadow around the hairline, just to give the hair a bit of weight

Gotta say though, this is definately one of, if not the best face texture I've seen you do laugh.gif
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!?

cheeks are fucked now.
    adding way too much definition to the bones by that color. make the cheeks rose.
    but dont fuck it up like that u ... fuck upper. u .. fuck ... fuck ..yea.

fuck

oh and yea ... how long do u wait for authorizing one on icq...
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I would go with about half the darkness you have now on the cheeks. It is just too dark at the moment. I also really think you need more resolution for the hair texture. If you can't, or won't, you need to not do such long strands of dark, and just imply with band's of color horizontally instead of vertically.

Keep it up man, and you were awesome to hang out with!

GO FRENCH!
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    too much forehead compared to the source image, hairline should be lower. Right now it makes her face look smaller.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    her jaw-line is really flat, it's much more rounded in the ref image
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    removed the pink on the cheeks, lowered the hairline so that the distance from the bottom of the thin to the top of the nose is equal to the distance from the bottom of the nose to the hairline.
    rounded up the jawline

here are the updates :

kim12_fr.jpg
    kim12_per.jpg
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    btw, comparsion shot between the last update and the reference

kimcompareref.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Thats a big help! I can see that on yours:
    The corner of her jaw appears to be too smooth & curved. Sharpen that angle up a bit.
    Here eyes & eyebrows are a bit too wide.
    Ears are too high, and stick out a tiny bit too far.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    updated, fixing what ScoobyDoofus said smile.gif thanks man smile.gif

kim15_fr.jpg
    kim15_pers2.jpg