Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Knight WIP

buddikaman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
This was the first character model ive ever made, started on it a year ago never finished, trying to fix it up, its rigged for the Male UT4k bones, mesh flow is a little off, but looking for crits or opinions. Still a WIP.

knight14ip.jpg

-Buddikaman-

Replies

• buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a old experimental texture, giving a better idea of what ive added to model now. Keep in mind im completely redoing texture.

cheese26un9xi.jpg

-Buddikaman-
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    well its better than my first model, but it still has a lot of room for improvement, a lot of the poly flow you will improve just by paying attention to what others have done before you, look at others work and emulate what you like. the proportions are a bit off. mostly his legs seem a good bit too small. and it seems that his Knees are too high up on his legs, the texture is verry grainy and is lacking a lot of greater detail, just seems like a swirly green material going over the whole thing, with no thought of defining the plates and pads of the armor, decide what matrerial you want each surface to be, and work on making it believable, and don't get too caught up in putting little details all over it.. sometimes less is more
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well its not bad for a WIP. But like mojo pointed out he needs work. The proportions are closer to a child than a warrior. He needs;
    - A smaller head
    - A larger torso
    - Longer biceps
    - Longer thighs
    - Shorter shins
    - bigger hands

Also when posting it helps to crop out white space. Or use all of the scene by showing side, back and 3/4 views.
    Here is a slice and dice I did of the changes I would make, since I can normally show better than I can write it.
    knight14ip.gif

Thicken the axe shaft/handle, you have a volkswagen stuck on a pipe cleaner. Even if the shaft if made of some super strong metal it doesn't "look" like it would support the really cool, well detailed axe head. So I suggest beef the shaft up a bit. Besides chicks dig a guy with a long thick shaft...
    axe.gif

Off to a great start, just need to make some changes so this guy can go from a tiny-tot to a mighty warrior.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the crits, yea i can see how his porportions are off, the main thing i have going against me is the UT4k_male biped im trying to stick into this guy, ill post some more pics soon of better veiws with the biped under him so you can get a better idea, thanks again.

-Buddikaman-
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also remember there are different skeletons and animations you can use. The human male is VERY different than the Jugg Male. For my straw golem I used the human female skelly.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    As Mojo said, it's a farcry better than my first model, keep at it.

It looks like you're using Morrowind's glass armor texture there. Careful about that.

mor-glassarmor.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Good eye, nitzmoff. I thought it looked similar, but didn't think it was just the same texture applied. You'd better be painting the new texture for this one entirely from scratch...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    or atleast give credit where credit is due =/ since it is a temp skin and will be redone at some point in the future
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    This is a old experimental texture, giving a better idea of what ive added to model now. Keep in mind im completely redoing texture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Experimental meaning i was just messing around to see how he would look with a skin, this was just a test done long ago, im in no way going to rip off someones skin and claim it as my own, im more worried about the model at this point, i did do the axe skin though. smirk.gif

-Buddikaman-
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Were can i download the jugg male biped?

-Buddikaman-