Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dystopia Character

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
Hi guys and gals

Im working on a player model for Dystopia hl2.. cept im running low on ideas for the texture frown.gif

Heres a few shots of my progress so far:

farggles3hk.th.jpg

dystopiapunkmed7hk.th.jpg

Poly count on the model is 4238.

My aim is to make him a hard ass cyber punk, so if you guys could give me crits or suggestions that would be great!

edit: arm tats are only temp, messing with them D:, supposed 2 be a circuitry theme.

Replies

• steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    hey Mr Smo this is looking great, no crits from me.
    keep up that fine texture work and I think you'll have yourself a high grade quality player model.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    intersting
    I like his proportions a lot..
    I just think, at least the way he's rendered, kinda looks like he's gonna tumble backwards. Might wonna check the posture.

Ok, you have taken so far a very techniqual route on this guy. With your abilities I think you can make it a wonderufl model - if you push his character more. Focus on the design and less on the tatoos.

Post here his personality, his background, his hobbies, his favorite music, anything you feel creating in him. Preferably beyond "bad ass cyborg".

But no matter what, you must kill, at once, the "scar" tatoo around his eye. Or else, quite simply, you will die!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    looking great sm0f0. one of your best yet laugh.gif ill be watching this for sure!
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    omg smo, quit being lazy!

I hate it. looks like ass, you should be ashamed of yourself!

;D

ok now seriously, Lookin good man. hehe get one of thoes concept artists to draw you something up. smile.gif
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    The metal textures- two thumbs up. By comparison, the flesh areas are a bit flat. I think you could push the values a bit more like you've done with the rest. Get a bit more colour variation in there too, he's a very uniform "flesh tone" at the moment.He could stand to be a little unhealthier in colour, get some blues and greens in there, and desaturate the red a little in general. I can see where you have introduced some colour variation to the nose and cheeks, but you could push this further, along with the five o-clock shadow, and the eye area. It could stand to have some more detail for the resolution you are using, at the very least some noise to roughen up the skin (and I dont mean just the "add noise" filter :P ).You have some (the hairy arms etc.), but it's maybe a little too subtle. How about some veins around the temples and forearms, and some more deeply etched wrinkles?
    Model wise it's very nicely done, but he looks like he needs to have a little more bulk in the hips/arse/thigh area, as the transition between the torso and the legs is very straight up and down. I realise it's a fine line between making him have womanly hips, but I think you've gone too far the other way. You are very close though. Finish it up laugh.gif
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'm not much of a story writer shotgun so I cant do much in the way of what you asked :/. But I am making progress, even tho its slow :<''

n30 - frown.gif u always hurt me

Cheeseonbannanas - I'm attempting to do and its looking alot better, thanks! ill keep on adding randomness 2 the face.

the scar tattoo was removed ;D, the tat there atm is just something temp, caliban (dude from dystopia) came up with yet another tat which i will put on after i go 2 kfc!

enough babbling D:!

punkgress30cj.th.jpg
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Rastus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rastus polycounter lvl 18
    looking sexy smo but u need to add more hair round were it is pulled into the pony tail

shadows under the neck

and those wrists look to skinny to have straps around them chink it upa little

better than i could do tho and u know it tongue.gif

edit: son of a.... damn i need to read stuff b4 i post i bet i missed like 10 things this time as well
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yummy, thats looking great dude.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    wow nice work! ponytail looks a little strange.. but awsome work so far man!

Jody
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool man!
    Really digging the armour on his torso.
    Maybe it would look cool to have the same kind of tattoo that he has on his arms come up on his neck from under the armour.
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

lkraan: omg best idea ever! I'll do that when i get home from work 2night smile.gif
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok... after having my pc crash and destroy my psd ive had 2 work from a tga (my own fault.. didnt back up:(..... twice..) I've finally finished it!

funny thing is, I took the day off work 2 finish it and by the time i usually would have been home from work i had 2 start from where i did that morning >_>;

wtfomg6pl.th.jpg

crits more than welcome!
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    this looks excellent! great job man.
    the only thing that irks me is the pink shoes, I would have gone with the darker purple instead but its up to you. Maybe try alternating one section dark purple and the other (like the toe of the shoe) pink or something, see how it looks.
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah ure right, i cant make feet/shoes 2 save my life frown.gif ill have 2 do something about those :S
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    well, i'm not sure about the mask thing at all.
    looks like it could fall off by shaking his head a little.
    i'd add something to keep the mask in place.
    and the sown up mouth just looks completely out of place.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deja wolf brings up a good point, try this. add some skin indention around the mask and put something somewhere on the metal mask itself that looks like its in some way graffed to his scull. :O just an idea. smile.gif

oh and with the shoes i think the color being the same is fine, but right where that line is if you make it look like another plate going across the top of his foot by adding a drop shadow i think it'll add alot of depth to the entire foot.
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    damn just keeps getting better and better, slow down a bit and let me catch up frown.gif
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Great new details to th skin Mr Smo!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Who the hell would play this mod?
    The only thing I like about this are the hands and the skin tones.
    8-)
    Looking really nice man. I think you could use a bit more localized damage as he looks a bit pristine at the moment. Good work though.
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha poop! i stole the hands and pallete off some guy called pissonmyface
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey punk. you callin me poops evil twin? wink.gif