Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

2d cyborg painting

blankslatejoe
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
Been chided by bobo and poop both now for not having polycount as my homepage... I figured I'd try and start posting here a bit more often. It seems like an awesome community with lots of talent!

this is a painting I just finished up. I worked on it 10 minutes each night before I went to sleep for the past two/three weeks. It was a fun experiment (painting only a little each day) and though it could use some more work (still a little blurry), I think the result is a step forward for me personally.

Comments/crits always welcome!
4_11_05a.jpg

Replies

• Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    that rocks! totally! could spend some spare time to make it perfect(sharpening the highlights and the background)
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks ramucho, I totally agree. I may go back into it again once I get a bit more inspiration.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i think you've done a great job with the lighting and composition, and most of the robot has been worked up to a nice level. the head seems really distracting, though--there seems to be some blood in there, is it like a decayed human skull or something? or just an amorphous hunk of robot head? i think the piece would be a lot stronger if you could resolve the head more clearly, as the head is always a natural focal point in any figurative piece smile.gif
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    agree with all that has been said.
    i think uve gone over board with the white highlights tho.
    also work out the shapes in the dust a bit more.

im not too keen about the design of the bot. u did a nice overall job but some areas dont apeal to me so much.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss- Yeah, he's kinda this zombie...robot thing... I was just having fun and letting the painting kind of work itself. That's probably not a good way to go about things, but, but for someone who'se afraid of painting, anything to keep myself interested helps.

qubism - yeah, looking at it now, those highlights are very overblown. I tend to like extremely strong kicker lights... that might be something i should watch in the future.

Thanks guys!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    ye qubes right, you have overdone those brown highlights. The blue electro light tho works very well imo, it really sets a sense of space, intimacy with the robot.
    The guys next to him marching towards the city (..right?) should be more opaque tho. cant have the city more opaque than them right?

I like it overall. you nailed the prespective very well.