Home Technical Talk

Max 7: Projection (Normal Map) Shows Wireframe

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
What error am I making when I render a projection map, and it renders a blue wireframe of the object over the normal map?

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Mirrored geometry?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    No worries - I've had that, and it drove me nuts. Someone else had it at work, it drove them nuts and took me ages to suggest that it could be the problem.

I must remember to get it put into our tech documentation.
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    yeah that one got me too. What WHERE they thinking?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    The fix would be this: Apparently max can tell facing direction based on the W factor of the UVW modifier. It's how a game engine knows to alter the normals of the mirrored faces to display properly. If when baking, max would ignore all faces with a negative W value, we would be A ok. As it is, I use unwrap tools to move all the mirrored chunks over 1 unit in the U direction, and then use it to move it back after rendering.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always thought W was a positional unit, rather than a directional one. In my mind's eye I imagine UVW to be like XYZ, three axes to place UVW coords into.

I can really see it when messing with a 3d texture like a procedural, where moving through W is basically moving on a vector perpendicular to UV.

So as I understand it, merely moving a XYplane into -Z territory wouldn't be the same as mirroring the plane across X or Y, since in the former case the "normal" is still facing out, while in the latter the normal is facing in.

The way I hear it, coders find out the normals (mirrored or not) of the UV triangles by examining the face-winding... the order the vertices were created. Like when you manually create a triangle by clicking verts in a certain order.

Well I guess this is kind of esoteric, but I'm interested in learning about it anyway.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yes, face winding. That might be it.
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey poop...
    Y'know, esoteric is good. Try explaining transform distortion caused by stack modifying vertices below the transform to first years. They go all gooey and if you poke them they fall over. smile.gif

You can cut away the mirrored faces using an edit poly modifier to temporarily clean them away while you do your render to texture.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem with that dave, is that it kills your normals. You want the normals to stay the same on the edge as they will be in the game. REally it's best/easiest (those are hardly every the same thing, but in this case it is) to just select all the mirrored faces, and using unwrap tools, move them over 1.0 in the U direction. This will keep max from trying to overlap during the bake, but the engine and max will still apply your final texture to the correct faces. It's a great way to take care of the mirroring.
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I use discard strips to continue the middle planes of the mirrors. It keeps them nice and luverly.

Your way is cool also.
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    say Poop, we should form The legion of lime green sig avatars".
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So with the discard strips is the idea to first add an Edit Poly mod and delete away the mirrored polys, second extrude the open edges a bit, third cast your rays, then fourth delete the mod?