Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

medium res,hand model....

Bronco
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bronco polycounter lvl 18
howdy guys

This one is just a confidence builder to prove to my self i can do organic objects and charcters if I add a good go.
I didn't set msyelf a polycount becuase as I said its just build up my belive in my abilities abit,but it weighs in at between 1500-2000 poylgons.

Edgeflow is still at the back of my mind so comments about that as well as the general shape is welcome,the pose is based on your standard FPS "gun in hand".

Also would something like the fingers deform well if I had 2 rings instead of 3? im just looking into maybe cutting the polycount down some anyway.

heres the pics

hand_pic.jpg

Feel free to paint over,if you wish to smile.gif.

thanks for any help in advance.
john

Replies

• King-Vitaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    King-Vitaman polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say that the thumb is too big, long, and thick in the middle, and it is missing some of the lines that identify it as a thumb. I did a little paintover, not so much because I think I am good at paintovers or anatomy or anything, but because you asked for one and I just got "George Bridgeman's Book of A Hundred Hands" (awesome book btw I'd suggest anyone who hasnt seen bridgemans anatomy books to pick one up) and doing a paintover gives me an excuse to stay up a few minutes longer studying anatomy. Here you go.

Hmmm, boards not showing images for some reason... or maybe this thread?...
    http://www.t-webb.com/images/hand_paintover_1.jpg
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks very much sir Vitamin,ill work on the thumb some more and see what i come up with.

Thanks for taking the time to do the paintover hehe smile.gif.

john
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    I think that you have missed the thin part between the tumb and the hand, the one that streches when you spread your fingers. The top of the middle finger looks funky too, I don't think that it should curve upwards like that.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok,ive made some changes to this,hope its still good.

*UPDATE AT TOP!!*

* changed position of the thumb.
    * adjusted the look of the top of the fingers
    * added fold of skin between the hand and the thumb

Also King_vitamin,could you elaborate on the "missing some of the lines that identify it as a thumb" part,I seem to have totally missed the point there..or its me being dumb smile.gif.

keep the feedback machine roling.

john
  • King-Vitaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    King-Vitaman polycounter lvl 18
    I just meant if you hid the rest of the hand, there would be no way to tell the thumb is a thumb because it wasnt shaped like one before, it was shaped like a crooked finger that was extra-thick. I was almost asleep when I posted so that was probably the worst possible way to explain the problem. I think I meant something like the mental image in your head being made up of certain lines and angles and volumes identifying it as "thumb" and the original thumb was missing all of these lines, angles and volumes. Still very confusing, but that is like my train of insane thought, so don't think too much about it and don't worry about not understanding, thats probably a good thing smile.gif
    Everything else looks pretty good I think, but you could cut down some polies and work on the flow, which would get rid of the lumpiness that it has right now.