steady polycounter lvl 18
    seksey soul
    stop saying lalala you fairy boy
    skin that ghoul
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    So is he undead? If so you could degrade his armor and pants a bit, maybe show signs of what killed him. This looks like one lean-poly-beauty. Sword should be curved though.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    What no 256x texture? Wow man your slacking these days...
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Are you sure I haven't seen something like this from you before?

That long sword really helps to make him look more sinister and stretched because they are both so thin.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Really nice Soul. Man EA needs to put your ass to work at night doing PSP art.

Random info: I found out from Daz at GDC you're not British.
  • pattern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pattern polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome!
    That's some low-poly goodness, can't belive it's only 1379 tris...
    Now don't be a tease, show us some texture on this beauty. smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    awesome soul, like I'm viewing a model and playing castlevania at the same time. wink.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    what Jeffro said--i'm marching over to EA, getting a PSP project greenlit, and you're going to be the lead artist. smile.gif
  • S51
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S51 polycounter lvl 18
    I love it, but how do his pants stay on?
  • Synista
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synista polycounter lvl 18
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dammit I was going to say that
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    souL, your ability to get such dynamic characters with so few polygons is masterful!
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks smile.gif

Everything is held up by magic! A little sprinkle of magic dust can even get an old man erect.

No texture yet. I'd actually planned to work on something last night when I got home. But I opted to get a lot of sleep instead.

Funnow how Scott's working on some skeleton thing for this Lupine model, too. What a coincidence smile.gif
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    hahah i saw the model before i saw who posted it and reccognized your style immediately. very good work as always man.
  • Aruix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aruix polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work, though what did you use to make this? Looks like Wings 3D, but Im not sure
  • sumguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sumguy polycounter lvl 18
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Awesome work, though what did you use to make this? Looks like Wings 3D, but Im not sure

[/ QUOTE ]
    Wings 3D doing edge extrusion? Oh, if only
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Hurry and skin it man! Also I'm just wondering if you are going to use alpha maps? If yes, couldn't that have been a good way to have done those tines on his head, made a large "headdress" plane and then alpha those bits out.

Looking nice man.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
  • KdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KdS polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, I like it, bone is well rendered.

I'd scale upper jaw for it looks a bit too thin at the moment.
    anatomically speaking, it looks really good to me, no crits to do
    Do you think to dirt it again a bit? blood, flesh, cloth scraps etc?

By the way, very good work smile.gif
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    rocking stuff, as usual, I really love the arrow, gives a very unique touch smile.gif
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    i dont liek it when people post pics with out saying seomthing..

good work none the less.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Well first of all, the distal portion of the clavicle connects to the acromion process of the scapula, and not the greater tubercle of the humerous. Not to mention, the superior angle of the scapula is missing completely. Your thoracic cage is anatomically incorrect. The rib cage consists of 12 pairs of ribs including 14 vertebrosternal ribs, 6 vertebrochondral ribs, and 4 vertebral (floating) ribs. The sternum is composed of only three sections, the manubrium, body, and xiphoid process. And the sacrum is completely non-existant. Jeez! It's like you're not even trying. Why don't you just give up and start a new life as a fisherman?

p.s. I hate you. Die.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crap, I wrote a response to this this morning, and now it's nowhere to be seen. Oh well.

I think you should make it all whiter. Bone has a tendancy to bleach the more aged and exposed to the elements it gets. Plus when you have the darker samurai armor, this will help with a nice contrast.

If you can, make the pelvis thicker with a few triangles.

I'm digging the arrows.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

I think you should make it all whiter.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forget, that for Soul, that is white.

I also think that there is something going on with the Pelvis. It looks closer to a female one than anything else, the way it's pointing. It also seems a bit thinned out.
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    Oooo goody more low poly work from soul laugh.gif i love it when some of the good polycounters that rarely post their works gets bores and makes neat little things such as this..

Looking good soul
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin cool; I think the head, spine, and pelvic bone need some more work. Head proportion seems a little small (maybe though with armor that will change), the pelvic seems like it could use a bit more flare with it's shape. Also, the spine could be more jagged (in alpha) along the line. But anyways great work there.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Get back to some fucking real work you slack bastard! Oh shiat, I can't say that anymore ;-)

Looks good. Is that shading making the pelvis tonally darker than the rest of him in front view?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    sam_03.jpg
    Almost there. Transparency sorting in Maya is eternally broken, so the pelvis is showing up behind the pants.

The pelvis looks darker because of this lame incadescence trick I did to the shader to try and simulate shadowing on double-sided faces. Full bright... everything is generally even.

I didn't think anyone would notice the missing ribs. I goofed up painting the ribs and really didn't want to go back and make edits just to fit the remaining ribs.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    oh man.
    you are getting better there good job!

goob job about the colors too. everything really top notch.
    I may try ahving the lightest tones of the yellow armor with more saturation.. it seems to behave more like bronze than anything else.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really good. I still hold to my original comment that the bones would look cooler with a white tone to them.

Can't wait to see it finished.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    kickass!

there is the sorting option in Maya, although it doesnt always work. its in the window menu, View i think. The only other way ive gotten sorting to work properly is the assign multiple materials (even if its the same texture), one with alpha, one without, and seperated the mesh parts that were to be alphaed from those that werent. it may be too much work to be worth it. smile.gif

you could make a ton of skin varients off this guy. awesome.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Here's a shot with the bones more ashy/gray:
    http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/souldesigns/sam_04.jpg
    Skeleton only:http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/souldesigns/sam_05.jpg

I see what you mean about the contrast. It defenitely does help to make the skeleton more visible. But the brown toned one has a more dingy, dirty, been-out-in-the-shitter-for-a-while look to it.

Since the last post, I made the head bigger and shaped the pelvis so it's wider up top.

It's tricky to add polies to thicken the pelvis because it's using an alpha channel to round out the shape of the bone. Most of the geometry are open ended planes. But I think for a general front view, the pelvis looks like it has more thickness to it than before.

The spine is a bit tricky, too. Still figure out how the hell I'm going to add them. It's not just a simple extrude faces and add alpha'd textures.

Moose: Yeah. I could cut it up. Right now I just have different materiales (one with and one without alpha) assigned to the apropriate faces. Held up pretty well with just the skeleton. I guess Maya is starting to get more confused now with the armor on top. I'll cut it up and get it to work.
    You're at version 6, Alias... fucking fix alpha sorting!!!!

There's still work that needs to be done on what's there... and there are still a few other things I want add and try out. But I think the overall idea is coming across.
  • Stringer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stringer polycounter lvl 18
    Alpha sorting is a complete pain the fucking ass in Maya, however there is some ways around it, maya sorts alphas from back to front, but there is a way to get round that, imagine, if u will a sphere, with three plans attached at the top, a front one, a middle one and a back one, all 3 planes are alpha mapped and are sorting from the back not the front as u want, simply detach them and then in this order join them, select sphere, first plane (at the back), combine, select main object again, then middle one, combine, etc. The object will then draw properly, albeit from the front view, and still fuck up from back views, but at least it'll look good when u show case the front of the character.

no idea how it actually does it's sorting, whether it's vertex number order or what...

EDIT:

Another thing to try, as this works (90% of the time) for me, is if I duplicate the main shader (the lambert or whatever) and apply the duplicated shader only to the alpha mapped faces, then break the connection with the alpha transparency on your main / master shader, this way maya isn't worrying too much about having to sort between alpha'd faces and those that are not, and then fucking up the process anyway, this is a techniques I usually use if we have producers in and we need to showcase the models in maya without any artifacts. worth a shot.

beside, Blizzard... you'll be using MAX from now on, dunno how they're alpha sorting is ? smile.gif

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Soul, your textures are so fascinating and nostalgic to look at. Thank you for posting.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    haha, soul your work makes me smile because it's so cool.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    dude that looks NEAT! only crit = the clothing has a bit too many holes in it and that makes some of the areas look a little too busy for the normal human eye

did I mention it looks NEAT? smile.gif
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Dude, Soul as you may know, you are one of my art heros. All your work is very motivating to me. Makes me want to get off my arse and make stuff. Your low poly models remind me of like japanese paper craft, they are so simple yet convey the proper mass and volume.

Stringer, I heard that blizzard is switching to maya. I just heard that though.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    So retro. Working with hi poly all the time to normal map my 'skin' makes me nostalgiac for how quickly stuff can be knocked out on the old tech.

Of course, it still requires a skilled driver behind the wheel to make it look good. I'm glad you're going to Blizzard Soul as I love the fantasy stuff much more than the Scifi.

Great work.

r.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    SOUL- I really like what youve done with the model/texture, do you think you could post the UV textured pics?, i love to check out your stuff, its very inspiring, thanks.

-Buddikaman-
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I like the first version more than the grey, it just fits beter with the tones of the armor. That and its much more creepy. Nice work as always.
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
    im not to fond of the pants laugh.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i think poop's technically right that the bones look cooler with the grey tone. but 'cooler' as in color temperature, not in actually looking any better laugh.gif

soul, you know better than to listen to poop!