Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Web Design, crits wanted

King-Vitaman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
King-Vitaman polycounter lvl 18
http://www.t-webb.com/

Redesigned my website the other day and programmed it tonight. Need some crits before I finish/finalize/fill.

The fish-tail doesnt really mean anything, I just liked the way it fit into my design.
I am going to remake the title that says "T.Webb" because it is kind of blurry now. That is my name btw, Tyler Webb.

I am debating using a splash page which will make it open in a new window with a fixed size. Opinions? I usually don't think that splash pages have a point but its the only way I know of to make it load up in a new window with fixed size, and that seems important in this case, but if anyone else has another idea, please let me know. I could have index.html be a blank page that loads a window automatically, but that seems sloppy to me. Bah.

Replies

• lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    On my 1024x768 laptop display I can only see half of the menu that's on the bottom.
    I think that you're using up too much space on top for the logo. I would make it smaller or at least put the menu options in it.
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    the frames are borgeled.
    get rid of that shit i can scroll in each and that fucks up thelook u intend.
    besides they are useless and we dont really need the scroolbar in the middle of that. my personal taste but it was ever like it. and the fact that the frames around it dont do the job u want them to do proves it.
    just go with tabs.
    plus navigation on top i suggest. we are reading top to bottom if we look for nav we start on top.
    incase u wanna lave it make it more eye catching.
  • King-Vitaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits, it's much much better now and simpler, less room for bugs because it doesnt use any frames now, I learned to use and <DIV>'s instead, which are much easier and more reliable. I am much more confident of showing it now because although my firefox showed the first site properly, IE had persistent problems. I had also forgotten to look at the site from any resolution than 1600x1200. I think the new one works much better. Thanks again from both of you, I will still probably change something before I finalize it, crits are still very much welcome.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    post a JPG of what it's meant to look like.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    The fish thing is very interesting. And I like your swirling background pattern continues very, very lightly in the frame’s background. Black font should read very easily on it.

I’m wonder what are you trying to accomplish here? Are you making a Portfolio site that is targeted to getting you a job, or are you just building a Gallery to just show off your artwork?

My first suggestion is to place under your frame the best resolution its viewed in and which Browser it best in. But still make sure it still works in Firefox/Netscape and IE version #. Then to give that a little more weight and presence add in copyright information. Maybe once you’re done with everything, spend a little cash and get it federally registered. So you can look all nice and official.

Plus I would center align your main division, you got too much negative space at the higher resolutions to the right.

I also notice that I can’t scroll the frame’s window up or down on just your site with my scroll wheel.

You might also want to check this out if you haven’t in the General Discussion:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=35569&an=0&page=0#35569

You have got a great start here in my opinion. Get some content added and let us know.
  • King-Vitaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.t-webb.com/images/overview.jpg Screen-cap with bad compression of how it looks for me. I hope that doesnt mean its still buggy hawken? Every browser and resolution I have tested the new one on has been fine. Bah.

Thanks lore, I am either going to center-align everything or make the window sized down to the site and non-resizable. It is for a portfolio, if I ever get it presentable that is. Sucks that the scroll-wheel thing doesnt work, I hadnt noticed that before but thats an annoyance, I doubt I will ever have much content on the main site that needs to be scrolled to, but it should be fixed nonetheless. I have read that portfolio rant, I agree with it and pretty much always have, but its a good thread anyway. What do you mean by "federally registered"? I will bump this when I am finished.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Since you mentioned it’s a portfolio site I’m wonder where your link to your resume or CV (curriculum vitae ) is? I would replace Other with Resume unless you had other plans for that link.

For federally registering the site in the States at least, is to send a copy to the Copyright Office (for a fee). This gives you the right to seek damages on those who infringe on your material on the site and how its laid out. Its just an after thought and the only reason why I brought it up was that I had just been in a conversation about Intellectual Property and unauthorized ebooks. But you really don’t need to as its already protected once you fixed the Intellectual Property in to a webpage since the Berne Convention. However this is different in each country as the Internet is world wide thing(a fact I forgot here).

But if you want to register it in the US look at http://www.copyright.gov/register/. As for the other countries the only one I know that has a site is the UK at http://copyrightservice.co.uk/.