Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mage WIP

Nakur
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Nakur polycounter lvl 18
Still in the early stages of modeling... was wondering if I could get some advice on what I have so far, or anything to change before I get too far along. He's currently at 1176 polys. Anyway, here goes...

Model:

ModelFront.jpg

ModelLeft.jpg

ModelBack.jpg

Wires:

WireFront.jpg

WireLeft.jpg

WireBack.jpg

Also, I plan on this being the first model I texture. If anyone know a good tutorial on unwrapping, I'd love to check it out ^_^ Despite my best efforts, all of the unwrap tutorials I have found don't tell how to go about keeping the UVW's to scale, or to choose where you want the seams to be, etc.

Replies

• JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    one way to know if your unwrapped pieces are in scale is by using the squares of your square map or circles of your circle map. if they're the same size from one piece to another, then they're probably good.

you generally want to put your seam in a palce that won't be seen all that often. like, the inside of arms or legs.

sometimes it's better to make the seam as short as possible, instead of the least visible place. example is for the torso. if you want it in one piece, you could either put the seam on the sides with the front and back connected via the top, or connect the front and back via the sides with the seam along the sides. connecting by the top means a relatively hidden seam, but it's really long. you might also want to have some sort of pattern continue from the front around to the back. seam on the side would cause troubles with that, then. connecting by the side means the seam is in a very visible place (top), but it's most likely a short one, so it'll be easier to blend the texture.

for good modeling/unwrapping tutorials, check poop's site.
    http://poopinmymouth.com/
  • Nakur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nakur polycounter lvl 18
    Had checked out his site before; it has a lot of good texturing info, but I didn't see anything on unwrapping.

Thanks for the thoughts on placing seams. I have a pretty good idea of the theory behind unwrapping, but as far as the actual step by step of commands / tools to use, I don't even know where to begin. Gonna keep poking around the net and try find some beginner tutorials.

And that idea of using a checkboard material to keep the same scale - thanks ^_^ Once I figure out how to do this, I'm sure that will be useful.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    look at the character modeling tutorial vids. it covers modeling, unwrapping, texturing, rigging. the number links beside the green goblin guy. k, kurly kid? KKK for ever!
  • Nakur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nakur polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, great. DLing this now, so exciting ^_~ Thanks again!