Home General Discussion

You read level design docs?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
Yeah, just that. I'm kind of curious. If you do, does it help your work? Does it hurt your work if you don't read it?

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    just out of curiosity, if you have a level design doc why wouldn't you read it?

edit: oh just noticed, and happy birthday!
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Well i can talk from experience when i say our LD docs go out of date OFTEN. They either change so much and dont update the docs or they change alot and dont be detailed when updating the docs.

So alot of the time i often have to pester them to get info about LD.

It takes alot of time and effort to keep those things current. frown.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Ah I can understand how that might be yeah. Still you'd read the first revision just to get the basic info right?

I can't really speak from experience as the most complex level design doc I've had consisted of a rough scribble and some notes on a loose piece of paper.

Also I didn't mean to sound quite so shocked with the italics, its just I only recently paid attention to what html tags can do. ahem.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Level docs can be long at times. So, people don't read them cause it would take too long. Also, it might not be the most useful to a texturer or modeler if a good base environment was done.

I've spent a lot of time keeping my docs always up to date. Yeah, it takes a long time, but avoids some issues of confusion.

But what I'm trying to find out is, is it actually worth the time of the artist to read the things. Like, the way I see it is that if there's a good base environ down and good illustrations, reading the doc isn't necessary.

Thanks, Rooster. It's also Trevor Linden and Anton Lavey's birthday today. HAIL SATAN!
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18