Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Toyota Supra

*RedStar*
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
*RedStar* polycounter lvl 18
This is my high poly project. It is for a video tutorial im making which is gonna be up for sale when done. I am using 3d max. Comments very welcome.

If you wana see my other work its at.
www.redstargraphics.tk

20aa.jpg

Replies

• nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Well to be honest I had a look at your other work and I can see many errors in both the way you model and the accuracy of the vehicles. Therefore I think you should work on your skills more before instructing others.

I don't like the way you have worded the information on your contact page. It comes across as very aggressive which I don't think will appeal very much to anyone looking to hire you. Usually a price is negotiated according to what the person hiring you wants. By that I mean the model could be used for a game or a TV ad, it could be textured or untextured etc.

You seem to have a good understanding of you are trying to do but I think your video tutorial would be more sucessful if you took some time to develop your skills more.
  • Jag7799
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jag7799 polycounter lvl 18
    I concur with nealb4me, you need to take more time modelling the cars to ensure accuracy, get more reference and follow the blueprints closer.
    Also with any of your cars shut lines, they are very "wavey"
    I can also see that in some places on your high poly models they have a lot of detail, yet in others they look like they would be off a 4000 poly model.

As for your contact page, just remember- if your making a car for someone, they are your boss, not the other way around.

just some friendly advice
  • *RedStar*
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments, Rilly appriciated. About the contract stuff yes i do know its a bit harsh but i also know the value of my work. Aswell with the other stuff on my site. It is some of my older work. And about reference yes i do use it and beleve me i try to be as accurate as possible. Here is just the seems extruded down. Comments welcome.

33fn.jpg
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could give you some better feedback on the supra if you posted some wireframes.
  • *RedStar*
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    lol. yea that contact text there is making noone contact u.
    atleast id be very surprised ...
    from that im gettin the impression that youre an ass.
  • *RedStar*
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im not rilly an ass, i guess i wasnt thinkin about wtf i was writing atm. Ill change that.
  • *RedStar*
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know i agree with you guys. Ima finish this supra without making it a tutorial. And if it will out better then my s2000 then i will make a tutorial. And by the way i updated my contract info smile.gif
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    might also want to date your works, to see which works are old, vs newer models.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    + think about removing the 2d section of your site, if you dont plan on update it with loads of drawing that match the quality of your 3d work.
    Also, loose the "straight up gangsta" pic on the front page. Its a bit immature and wont help gettin u employed (if that is what you wants)

i like your car models, the wires looks clean and well done. Keep at it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Hi, welcome to polycount, looks like you passed the initiation beat down! I thought you were using nurbs surfaces before I saw the wireframes, pretty nice.
  • *RedStar*
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol yeah thats ok man. I can handle comments thats why i post my work to get comments and improve. But ok i updated the site you guys hopefully now its all good. And btw added a tutorial section. And here is an update from last night, i got more modeled but dont have it all chamfered so here is what i got rendered last night.

69xu.jpg
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can see where the errors are coming from now, you really need to space your edgeloops more evenly and adjust them to suit the subdivision. This is a particular problem at the bottom of the headlight although you seem to do it a lot. Here:
    Red = What your doing
    Green = The shape it's supposed to be
    Blue = The shape it should be plus enough detail for the indicator hole and no interuption to the meshflow.
    mesherror.jpg
    Lastly, it is a good idea to hold off cutting out the headlights until the cars shape is final. That way the curvature of the glass will exactly match that of the body and ultimately look far better.
  • *RedStar*
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn bro i have no idea what you talkin about lol. well i do get its about the seems but i dont understand the picture. please explain more?
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was hoping that you would be able to see the red example does not curve nicely, it has a flat section where the 2 extra edges are. So really, what I am saying is, use a more detailed base mesh.

Right now your problem is that you don't understand how to make the model smooth AND have detail. For example, the front bumper should curve nicely, but yours does not. Because you added some edges for the indicator and front light without thinking about how it will affect the subdivision.

I don't know how much clearer I can be, but I hope you understand now.
  • *RedStar*
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i do understand. Add more polies instead of relying on mesh smooth. Well thats what i think. Well here is the front some more. Maybe now its what your talkin about. Thanks for the comment tho if thats what you talkin about because rilly is better when i make it almost as smooth as it should be. Also i went back and modified the front bumper a bit more.

wireframe25ph.jpg
  • Squirrely Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirrely Jones polycounter lvl 18
    I think he means on the front part of the wheel well, the sharp curve near where the scoop meets the body. looks like you can fix it just by moving some edges around. Just space them out more evenly and you should get a nice round wheel well.
  • SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    Redstar, the area that Neal's pictures are referring to is the part directly under the lights, his pictures are looking at it straight on. I highlighted the area so you can see it better. Also like Neal said, this isn't the only area where you've done this but it is the most noticeable from that view, especially the on the left.

toyota_edges.jpg
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes exactly SideEffect, that's what I was going to do next smile.gif
  • *RedStar*
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok thanks for the help, i updated it, fixed some of the problems, if the problem still exists please tell me. And i changed around some polyplacment.

wireframe21be.jpg
  • *RedStar*
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jag7799
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jag7799 polycounter lvl 18
    Basically what I think your doing wrong is rushing, your putting poly's places where you shouldnt and also your not structuring it very well.
    evenly spaced polies of the same size work for the best smoothed shape and its better to plan how your going to do it rather than just going gun hoe and chucking them in there, it shows up a lot in that final render you have there with shadows.
    Basically what neal said, each poly helps to create the shape and if you dont do it that way it will create flat spots or bumps
  • *RedStar*
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok Jag thanks for that comment man. Im rilly trying and taking my time now. I added alot more polies to it and wow your right taking my time with alot of polies is longer but then i work my way threw it so now the model isant bumpy but is more accurate looking, in my oppinion at least. Here is a wireframe of my "poly adding" if you will. Comments welcome.

wireframe55ny.jpg
  • *RedStar*
    Options
    Offline / Send Message