Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArmyDillo character textured.

RageUnleashed
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
ArmaShot.jpg

About to make a big senior project presentation with my characters, here's one.

Replies

• RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Errr anybody home?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Wireframe? Flats? I have some crits, but I need to be sure.
  • King-Vitaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    King-Vitaman polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool but too bright I think, but that could just be the lighting. You should give us a GI render, unless that is in which case I'd say turn down the saturation and the brightness quite a bit on the whole texture, and some color variation on the texture maybe, a little bit more warmth I'd say. It's cool though, will the senior project have a story or just be like a demo reel?
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the wires, posted em a few months back:
    http://www.rage-unleashed.biz/WebsiteImages/ArmyDillo.jpg

Here's the flats:
    ArmaUnwrap.jpg
    bump:
    ArmaUnwrapBump.jpg
    spec:
    ArmaUnwrapSpec.jpg

Yea's it's bright because of the lighting, what's the quick and easy way to do a global illumination render in maya?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the model, though one thing you could do is scale the snout in just a bit. Right now, it's a bit difficult to focus on the character's whole face. This could improve it's real-time cinematic appearance.

The UV layout looks solid, but there are some thing about the texture that are confusing. The shirt continues past the waistline, but you painted it to look tucked in, and camo'ed out the flaps. On the belt, from the front and side view there appear to be some green (camo) boxes sticking out. This is also different from the wireframe you posted. The whole waistline area is very confusing.

The most affective pieces of the texture are the boots, shirt, and outline of the back of the shell. These both represent a thick outline, big shape, cartoony style that drive the character. Pants and camo areas, however, are glossy and plastic looking. Skin and armor is a bit blurry, and poorly colored as it matches with the camo. Making the skin a bit more pinking, flesh tone, could help. Be sure to put a lot of work in to the face. This guy could have a lot more character from painting in anything.

Overall, you've got a great model, but could be a lot more advantageous of your 512x512 map. If you don't plan to add much more detail than this, there is no reason not to scale it down to 256x256.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erg, I'll have to edit that, there were supposed to be torn parts of the camo shirt supposed coming out from the arm holes in the kevlar vest. I was goin for a combo of rambo and a stereotypical "sarge' character. The waist line is were the kevlar vest ends, but the fatigues of the shirt stick under, like on some army uniforms.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    stereotypical "sarge' character.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cigar please!