Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help me with a portfolio piece

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
I'm modeling a generic man to get better at modeling muscles and anatomy, as well as getting used to working with more polies. Please critique the hell out of my stuff, I am trying to work up a portfolio to show to Tiburon EA down in Orlando so I'm planning on modeling Superman (lame) and Lobo (da main man!) and maybe do an animation of them duking it out

Here's my starting point, an arm
arm01thumb.jpg

also, how many polies should the fingers be? I'm used to doing cubes turned about 45 degrees so the edge is the top of the finger, etc...

(if you're wondering about my flaming skeleton guy, he's on hold)

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is the flaming skeleton you speak of "Ghost Rider"?

The model:
    - You have some crazy lines going there. It seems to be kind of messy and if I was getting this arm to rig I would either kick it back or fix it (depending on how much time we had).
    - Try to work in squares or triangles, sure its ok to mix and match at times . BUT things will look alot cleaner and have a better chance of deforming properly, if you stick to one or the other. I am sure the mesh looks LESS chaotic without the wires but really the wires reveal on hodge-podge method of construction.
    - The elbow has a good siloette but lacks a piviot point. Think of the elbow as a bellows

I did a quick paint over and example of how I would chage the elbow joint and clean up the wireframe. There are more changes I would make to the exsisting lines, but I only had limited time, so hopefully you get the idea? Off to a good start, just need to clean it up a bit =)
    arm01full_01.jpg
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome, thanks man! Just got home from work so I'll get cracking tomorrow morning!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, did the changes to the arm and started work on the torso
    bodyfront001thumb.gif
    bodyside001thumb.gif
    body3quart001thumb.gif
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Hope ya dont mind, but i did a little drawover too :P. I'm no expert, but it might help :S.

bodydo1bh.jpg

Looks pretty cool to me.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    It might speed things up if you were working from rotoscoped images, a quick sketh of the side and front view would make getting the proportions down when modeling a lot easier.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    If he were to go by that paintover, he would get a WAY too fat neck.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    yea, sorry about that, i notice it after i posted it, lol. like i said, im no expert ;p. I also think i put the dividing line of the pecs to far over to the left, o well ;p...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe, well the paintover does point out that I might have the arms too low and I need to adjust the pecs a bit.

Some of the issues might be from the image I'm working from, I can't remember what anatomy book it is from but the figure is based more on the classical greek figure that slightly exaggerates some features.

I've been slacking off the last few days, I'll get some more work done tomorrow.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    argh, more slacking off, almost 2 weeks since I touched the model!!
    Here's some work on the legs today. I was going to post the ref pictures but I couldn't get to the boards this morning, so I'm posting from work. The calves are a bit odd, it might be obvious what I'm using for reference by the shape of them.
    bodyfront002thumb.gifbodyside002thumb.gif