Home General Discussion

Happy Tartan Day!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
apparently today is Tartan day, a day to celebrate all things scottish.

I have a question for Rorschach: where you aware of this holiday and most importantly what alcoholic beverege should I consume until I pass out tonight?

Replies

• Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I'd heard about it, its purely an american holiday as best I know. I know very little about it, including the date.

I think I remember reading about it being instituted around the time a southern politician wanted to try and bootstrap some of his ideals to the ideals of Scotland. He tried to allude to there being a stronger tie to Scotland and indeed, inspiring influence from Scotland that played a part on the declaration of independance as prior to Americas declaration , there was the declaration of arbroath in Scotland.

Anyway, it was as much as I understood that it was a tenous link blown out of proportion, for political reasons, hence the instituting of Tartan Day.

I could be wrong though, as I say I don't really know much about it; you could do a google and find out more if you were really interested.

I expect Singlemalt Scotch would be the thing to drink. Scottish Whisky, not irish Whisky such as Jamieson's for instance.

-EDIT_ I did a google and found http://www.tartanday.com/about.htm

I wasn't far off...
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    good God! you don't need some special day to drink a single malt! smile.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    woah, I almost made a joke about drinking DOUBLE malt, that would of been twice as many malts than the situation deserved!

edit: hehe, I knew I was talking nonsense when I posted, I looked it up in Wikipedia and now I know there is Single Malt or Blended.